So what have I forgotten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..Ha ha...that reminds me of when i was younger on my trip to Paris...I had double bottles with staws fixed to my handle bars...one was full of water and the other one full of scotch:rolleyes:....I recall I had a great time:rolleyes::biggrin:

I have a vivid memory of trying to retrieve the bits of my fallen rear light from the road on the arc de triumph in the rain with heavy traffic....at the time I felt it was important enough to risk my life to retrieve....I think it had something to do with my Dad drilling it into me how important my rear light was!....nothing to do with the scotch of course:rolleyes:

Edit:
Ok I have just got back from my very first fully loaded ride. I took all of the above gear and headed off on one of my usual loops expecting to struggle up hills big time.

I did 33Km in 90 minutes and the hills were easy, in fact I was amazed at how much better this bike handles when loaded. Ok I spent more time on the second cog instead of the big one but I didn't touch the small third cog, so I feel i have some chance if I hit a serious hill at some point. It's not a world beating time, but I dont care about that....I'm jus thappy to be out there each day.

So based on this ride I reckon I will base my route on doing two of these rides a day am/pm with a good rest and lunch break in the middle. If i can keep up the distance/time then I reckon that my day would look roughly like this:

8am wake

10am set off after breakie and packing etc

11:30-12 ride

12-1:30-2pm lunch & rest

2pm- 3:30 4pm ride
4pm hit the supermarket or local shop to get stuff for dinner
5pm arrive campsite and set up
6pm shower/ wash stuff etc.
7pm start up stove and cook
9pm land of nod

That should give me lot's of time to enjoy the ride and still cover IRO 66km a day....if I get knackered after a couple of days I'll just stay put for a rest day or doa shorter ride the next day....make it up as I go along.

The only things I have to add to todays load is a bottle of meths and my palm sized camera.

I even got the balance of the load right I thought...the bike was very stable.

I will need to add a little more pressure to the tyres though under the load.

So...all my worries about riding with a heavy load were unecessary...things are looking good.

...now...ask me how I'm going to feel after the same ride in a howling gale and torrential rain?

radger

Veteran
Plastic carrier bags. Essential for keeping things separate/dry, and more practical than bin liners given their size.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..yes indeed. I have got some of those bags that have a seal on them, freezer type bags , for small bits etc and they also will come in handy for wrapping up bits of unused food like onions fruit etc.

There was a suggestion to carry a roll of PVC tape....I was trying to think why I would need a roll of tape?...The only thing i could imagine would be to fix any tears in the groundsheet?

I am using some pedal clip straps as ties on the bike, I find them useful for lots of things:
Compressing stuff sacks
Tieing the sleep mat to the rack and panniers
Keeping my water bottle sin the cage on very bumpy roads/tracks
One of them is used as a wrist band for my barbag
... they might make a good tourniquette one day as well!

Achilles

I would take waterproofs - trouser and and overshoes

Pee bottle - 125g but in the nearest you can get the en-suite in a tent!

Do you really mean 'tarp foot print' If you have a tent you do not need a tarp and if you are not 'wild camping' I would not take a footrpint.

For 'luxury' I would take a chair kit ( convert mat info chair) and a small personal radio

I reckon on 11-12kg max base weight including panniers and hope that that down to 10kg

snorri

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
There was a suggestion to carry a roll of PVC tape....I was trying to think why I would need a roll of tape?...The only thing i could imagine would be to fix any tears in the groundsheet?
After many miles, squeaks or wear may arise between brake/gear cables and frame, tape them. Something breaks or cracks, a mug, electrical component, wiring damage, mudguard fixing, tape it. Sometimes tape can just be handy for wrapping things tightly to prevent rattling or wear. It can also be used to amend signposts in humorous fashion if you are a little bored)))))

P.H

Über Member
Consider where you're going to rest your weary head. Some people are fine with a rolled up jacket, others, ME, have to have something as close to a normal pillow as weight/size permits. My current favorite is this one
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product164.asp
Whatever you use, it wants to be tested before you go.

I'd also take a warm hat, sitting around on a cool evening you'll be glad of it.
Can your front light be used as a torch? Where are you going to pack the tools and tubes? Remember you'll be handling these with dirty hands, best to keep them separate, maybe a small saddle pack. You'll also want them on the bike when you haven't got the luggage.
You won't get it right first time, or maybe anytime, learning what suites you is all part of the fun.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

You'll also want them on the bike when you haven't got the luggage

...that is something I hadn't thought about. Currently the tools and tubes etc are all packed in the left front pannier in plastic bags. My cooker and associated food (porridge, salt, stock cubes, pepper, sugar, and some mixed herbs!)and plastic utensils are in the front right pannier.

I could put the tubes and milti tool in the bar bag which I intend to keep with me at all times....I didn't do that origionally because I wanted as much of the weight as low down as possible.

My pillow will be the sleeping bag stuff sack cramed with my clothes.

Packing this way means that once the tent is up and the sleeping bag laid out then the two rear pannier bags will be empty and can be stashed down the end of the tent out of the way. This leaves my front panniers to go in the front 'porch'(:biggrin:) which should work for me.

Yes my front light will now become my torch...I have swapped the small smart light for a sturdier one which gives more light in th etent...which is where i see it being used most anyway.

As for the hat...yep...good idea...however I have thick long hair down to my shoulders which should do the job ok....if it were a non summer tour I would take a hat.

This trip is only my first tour. i will be spending two weeks (ish) cycling around East Anglia...not the most isolated place on earth...but I want to get used to this type of cycle camp thing so that I have it down to an art when I go further afield next year. Besides I enjoy it this way better than B&B and restaurants etc....it's also a lot cheaper which is crucial to me right now.

Seems OK to me incuding the chopping board (87p from tescos can be thrown away before flight back) - as to pillow, clothes pannier with fleece over the top)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

The chopping board is actually the top of a tuppaware type container (in fact the lid is of the hard plastic type) which I half inched from the kitchen cupboard....

...anyway i will find out tonight if all is well as tonight is ...'Shakedown' night.....I'm off to a local campsite to spend the night and test everything including cooking etc..

...it's also a great excuse to get away from the 18th birthday party that promises to take over our home tonight:smile:.

Top Bottom