1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what have I forgotten?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 21 Jul 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I am getting be gear together for my tour. As a beginner i thought I'd post up my gear list and see what you chaps reckon....too much? Forgotten anything?...all comments welcome. Hopefully the exercise might also help other touring 'newbies'...anyway her is my list:

Panniers front & rear & bar bag
    Puncture repair kit & Multi tool with Chain tool
    Inner tubes x2
    Pliers
    Chain repair links x3
    Bike cable locks x2
    Cycle computer
    Cycle helmet white
    Cycle fingerless gloves
    Presto pump
    Front & rear Smart lights and spare batteries
    Lube oil
    High vis Bib
    Water bottles x2
    Goldeneye maps
    Details of campsites, bike shops and hostels on route
    Mobile phone & charger
    Plastic spoon
    Trangia 27 cookset
    Bottle of Meths
    Length of line (tie up bike to tent and washing)
    Nike walkable SPD road shoes
    Spare cleats for shoes
    Head sweat band
    Socks x3
    Cycle jacket (likely Altura nightvision)
    Cycle shorts x2
    Cycle shirts x2
    Track suit trousers x1
    Sunglasses (cheap mirror shades)
    Contact lenses & x2 spare sets & cleaning liquid
    Glasses and cleaning cloth
    Razor
    Toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste
    Lightweight hairbrush
    Sleeping bag and stuff sac
    Sleep mat (in refuse sack)
    Tent, pegs and pole & tarp footprint (leave stuff sac behind?)
    Swiss army knife
    Small torch with spare batteries taped to it
    hotel style sewing kit
    Pain killers (no box)
    Bin liner bags x4
    Matches
    Digital camera (palm size) & charger
    Sports lightweight towel
    Cash/cheques/cards
    T-mobile top up card
    Bacterial/disinfectant wipes for public bogs
    Bog roll (no tube)
    Tea bags
    Porridge/dried soups/nuts and raisens/muesli/dreid bananas
    Salt sachets small
    Boil in bag rice
    Book
    ipod
    Hairbands
    Hotel style shampoo bottles x2
    Plasters
    Insect repellent spray
    Small freezer bags (for food)
    J cloths
    Compass
    Chopping board (small)
    Vitamen C tabs
    Knee support bandage
    Mini TV?

2. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Bicycle?

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Seems a bit excessive for a day-trip! :tongue:
    How long are you going away for?
    Have a good time. :?:

4. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

...oh yeah...the bike...I'll add it to the list.

Two weeks.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Soap and towel (one of those incredibly light camping towels), a few reusable zip ties and a bit of duct/gaffer tape.

6. graham56

graham56 Veteran

Dinghy?

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Nah, he'll be dingy enough if he don't take the soap & towel:rolleyes:

8. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

...:tongue:

I am going to take a sports towel...but soap...well i thought I'd just go with the shampoo bottles I lifted from a hotel in Germany....I was even thinking of cutting my hair to save weight:rolleyes:...it's down to my collar bone ...all the kids round here call me Hagrid:biggrin::biggrin:

9. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

The towel's on the list.
    Plain soap is handier than relying on hotel shampoo - you can use it for dishes as well as hair, body and shaving

Cutlery appears to be limited to a plastic spoon and the swiss army knife - I'd suggest adding a plastic knife and fork (eg those green lexan ones). The SAK isn't too good for eating or spreading butter on sandwiches.
    One of those sponge/pot-scourer jobbies would be handy, with one J-cloth for tent-wiping duties.
    A secondary source of fire may be handy if your matches get damp - a bic lighter?

Sunscreen missing, but if it's a UK tour (was it East Anglia?) there's not much chance of needing that, or the insect repellent, this year.

There appears to be no off-the-bike evening clothing. I'd suggest you want (at least) a pair of lightweight trousers (or zip-offs for shorts duty), a t-shirt, a lightweight fleece, undies and a pair of flip-flops or similar.
    If you get wet during the day you need something dry to change into, otherwise your sleeping bag etc will get damp quite quickly.
    If you get consecutive wet days with no chance to dry stuff, you just have to bite the bullet and put wet gear on. There's no point in putting dry stuff on if it's only going to be wet in an hour or two.

10. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

...good points...thankyou:becool:. the bic lighter makes sense and a scouring pad too, although the pans are supposed to be non stick. I'll add some proper cutley (plastic) as you suggest.I'm in two minds about longer trousers. I can t find any of those zip on/off ones in my size anywhere and I doubt I'll be eating out of an evening much since it's just me this trip. The suntan lotion was on th elist origionally but i ditched it as the bottle was heavy and I thought the same as you..unlikely to need it this year in the UK...I'll take the insect spray 'cos I attract the buggers like a magnet.

11. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

May I suggest Lifeventure All Purpose Soap. http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/washgear/all-purpose-soaps.htm

It washes fruit and veg, hands, clothes and hair, foams in fresh and salty water, and will at a push replace several of your items listed. Try Millets or other outdoor/climbing shops.

It's probably too late now, and maybe a bit techy, but my phone has a phone, camera (2mp) and mp3 player, thats one item, 3 uses and only one charger!!

I would also suggest, that unless you are going to the wilds then don't worry about chain repair links, spare light batteries, spare cleats, sewing kit,bog disinfectant, j clothes, you can buy them in most shops if/when you need them. 3 sets of contact lenses and a set of glasses seems excessive, maybe take a note of your prescription, but otherwise just glasses cuts out the need for cleaning fluids.

Like I said, this more basic approach is fine for tours taking in lots of town options, but more wild stuff may need more kit, or of course, arguably a lot less!!!

Have a nice time.

12. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

I second the suggestion of cable ties and pvc tape, also as you are taking a washing line, better add a few clothes pegs too.
    Will you really need a torch for summer touring? Perhaps, but spare batteries could be purchased en route.
    Half bottle of whisky could replace pain killers and bacterial wipes.:biggrin:
    Paper serviettes picked up in cafes along the way could be used instead of carrying bog roll and J cloths.
    Chopping board seems a bit excessive.:biggrin:

13. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

A full bottle lasts twice as long! :biggrin:

14. 2 x 1/2 = balanced panniers

15. Tony

Tony New Member

A spork (spoon one end, fork the other) works for me, along with one small but decent sharp veg knife.