So what time goal do i set myslef for Manchester to Blackpool 2013?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ningishzidda

To get an 'overall average', you need your computer on 'Dist', a good wristwatch and a brain.

If this is the M-B Bike Events CHARITY ride on 14th July, go on an ultra low geared MTB. Or better still, go buy an ASDA BSO and wear a bright cherise shell suit, a curly black wig, Lonsdale training shoes and call yourself 'Our Terry'.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
To get an 'overall average', you need your computer on 'Dist', a good wristwatch and a brain.

If this is the M-B Bike Events CHARITY ride on 14th July, go on an ultra low geared MTB. Or better still, go buy an ASDA BSO and wear a bright cherise shell suit, a curly black wig, Lonsdale training shoes and call yourself 'Our Terry'.

And of course don't forget to get sun stroke from riding with your top tied round your waist. And have a couple of spliffs to hand to get you through the day as well.

Joking. It's a good event- just set off early.

OP
OP
S

Shanksy

Went for a ride on Sunday from Littleborough to Skipton, half way I realized I had the stop reconsie function switched off on my iphone app so the 15mins stop at a café was missed from the calculations, 16.2mph average, getting better and perhaps Manchester to Blackpool is flatter than this run....

Ride Time Distance (miles) Average Speed (mph) Ascent (feet) Descent (feet) Calories
02:08 34.64 16.2 1683 1739 2455

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Went for a ride on Sunday from Littleborough to Skipton, half way I realized I had the stop reconsie function switched off on my iphone app so the 15mins stop at a café was missed from the calculations, 16.2mph average, getting better and perhaps Manchester to Blackpool is flatter than this run....
It is.

As far as I can remember, there was hardly any climbing on the M-B, but I can't think of a totally flat route from Littleborough to Skipton!

OP
OP
S

Shanksy

Sounding good for a decent time...at least a decent time for me..
I went straight from Todmorden up Burnley Road (stopped at the café at the top of Burnley Road) then down through Burnley, to Briefield then Colne, finally I took the A56 from Colne to Skipton.

Its not flat of course but nothing major gradient wise.

I will be doing what should be close to the M to B route (got last years off line) as soon as I get time to see how I get on, on the flat sections of the flat sections of the Skipton run im averaging 23/23mph which of course is easy without hills or too much wind...

VamP

Banned
Sounding good for a decent time...at least a decent time for me..
I went straight from Todmorden up Burnley Road (stopped at the café at the top of Burnley Road) then down through Burnley, to Briefield then Colne, finally I took the A56 from Colne to Skipton.

Its not flat of course but nothing major gradient wise.

I will be doing what should be close to the M to B route (got last years off line) as soon as I get time to see how I get on, on the flat sections of the flat sections of the Skipton run im averaging 23/23mph which of course is easy without hills or too much wind...

Are those the sections that are flatter than the other flat sections?

OP
OP
S

Shanksy

yes id say they are the flat sections of the flat sections which to me are slightly flatter than the flat parts but not totally flat compared to the flat sections of the flat bits :wacko:

Garz

Squat Member
I rode to the start from Hebden Bridge and didn't get there until about 09:00 which was definitely not a time that I would start at again because I was one of the last to set off.

I'm not sure what the earliest time is, but 07:30 sounds more like it.

(I rode back via Longridge after the event and had completely conked out by the time I got there. It took an ice cream at Whalley to revive me enough to be able to limp home via Burnley and Todmorden.)

BIG ride Colin. What mileage was that day?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BIG ride Colin. What mileage was that day?
138 miles. I don't know why I thought I averaged 15.1 mph though. Maybe that was the moving average? :whistle:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I gave up on M-B and haven't looked at it for a few years, so maybe doing the route a disservice now but for me its a glorified skyride with an awful lot of nodders and daft sods who get the bike out of the shed once a year. My advice is keep your wits about you and treat it more as a jolly than a serious timed ride unless you start off right at the beginning. Even then you get a mix of riders who will do it in 2.30 and then meet you as they ride home again, planks racing the first ten miles or so before their legs scream for mercy, the twunks that think they have to be at the front at every set of lights regardless of who they have to barge past to get there. If you start later you'll be amongst the 10 milers hanging on for grim death & idiots suddenly belting downhill (I got dragged off starting late one year coming into Preston when one of these arses who we'd not long passed gasipng along wobbled past at light speed far too close and snagged my bars with his rucksack strap).
Theres a few dull draggy lumps and if they go in through Lytham, the bend feels boring and endless. Dunno if they still go through Haigh Hall but if so, they chicained the woody exit route with straw bales, Not them most terrific idea in good weather as you're going in an instant from bright sunshine to a stygian dark downhill slope with immediate barriers to send you flying, I saw a few come a cropper like that.

A warm up ride in from Littleborough wouldn't be so bad & from times/routes you're riding, if you start off nice and early you should avoid and quickly outstrip the hobbyists though, and don't let my grumpy git persona put you off.

VamP

Banned
I gave up on M-B and haven't looked at it for a few years, so maybe doing the route a disservice now but for me its a glorified skyride with an awful lot of nodders and daft sods who get the bike out of the shed once a year. My advice is keep your wits about you and treat it more as a jolly than a serious timed ride unless you start off right at the beginning. Even then you get a mix of riders who will do it in 2.30 and then meet you as they ride home again, planks racing the first ten miles or so before their legs scream for mercy, the twunks that think they have to be at the front at every set of lights regardless of who they have to barge past to get there. If you start later you'll be amongst the 10 milers hanging on for grim death & idiots suddenly belting downhill (I got dragged off starting late one year coming into Preston when one of these arses who we'd not long passed gasipng along wobbled past at light speed far too close and snagged my bars with his rucksack strap).
Theres a few dull draggy lumps and if they go in through Lytham, the bend feels boring and endless. Dunno if they still go through Haigh Hall but if so, they chicained the woody exit route with straw bales, Not them most terrific idea in good weather as you're going in an instant from bright sunshine to a stygian dark downhill slope with immediate barriers to send you flying, I saw a few come a cropper like that.

A warm up ride in from Littleborough wouldn't be so bad & from times/routes you're riding, if you start off nice and early you should avoid and quickly outstrip the hobbyists though, and don't let my grumpy git persona put you off.

You make it sound like an absolute must miss! :biggrin:

Top Bottom