So when do I get out on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm loving spending time on the bike+tag-along with my son and we're getting out every weekend with a cheeky ride mid-week when work allows. Thing is that if I'm being honest (and selfish!), I'm missing the solo rides and have some lonely bikes in the shed that haven't seen the sun recently.

It wouldn't have been a problem 6 months ago but work has changed...there's a lot more courses where I have to travel and there's at least a couple of meetings each week which can last until 9 or 10pm (get into work for 7-7.30am...not moaning - just outlining timing probs).

Just wanted to know how people juggle life, work and cycling...do I just need a change in mindset that cycling now means towing a 7 year old child around the county singing Uptown Funk to the backing of my iPhone? Or do I disappoint my son for some daddy time?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm loving spending time on the bike+tag-along with my son and we're getting out every weekend with a cheeky ride mid-week when work allows. Thing is that if I'm being honest (and selfish!), I'm missing the solo rides and have some lonely bikes in the shed that haven't seen the sun recently.

It wouldn't have been a problem 6 months ago but work has changed...there's a lot more courses where I have to travel and there's at least a couple of meetings each week which can last until 9 or 10pm (get into work for 7-7.30am...not moaning - just outlining timing probs).

Just wanted to know how people juggle life, work and cycling...do I just need a change in mindset that cycling now means towing a 7 year old child around the county singing Uptown Funk to the backing of my iPhone? Or do I disappoint my son for some daddy time?
Think you need some "me time" too Russell. Anyway, I miss seeing you do some proper rides on Strava. Didn't realise work had got so hectic :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Very difficult!
I share your pain albeit back in time ....
When my 3 kids were little I still travelled a lot which meant very little me time when home. Basically I gave up cycling for about 10 years save digging the bike out for the odd charity ride or L2B.
It's not easy.
I still travel a lot but the kids are grown-up, 2 at Uni, 1 at home, but it's still hard to split cycle time and home time.

What I have done in the past is find a time to cycle that has the least impact on family life. For a long while that was either after 9pm weekdays. I even formed a Dads Sunday evening ride group and we'd meet at 8 pm for 25 miles come hell or waters high. I think it kept us same!

That's just kinda how it is.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Think you need some "me time" too Russell. Anyway, I miss seeing you do some proper rides on Strava. Didn't realise work had got so hectic :sad:
Hi Mo, thanks for the reply. Yup, work is unfortunately taking over and the pressure is ramping up! It hit me this week when I went to wipe down and oil the bikes and realised that they hadn't been ridden -apart from the MTB that ironically I wasn't going to bother with anyway! Also my dad is down this weekend and helped me fix a broken lock... As he gazed upon my small stable of bikes he asked, "do you really need these?"

Made me think!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Don't suppose it would be feasible to leave a bike at work and grab the occasional half hour in your lunch break. Would be better than nothing providing you have reasonable facilities for a freshen up?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Very difficult!
I share your pain albeit back in time ....
When my 3 kids were little I still travelled a lot which meant very little me time when home. Basically I gave up cycling for about 10 years save digging the bike out for the odd charity ride or L2B.
It's not easy.
I still travel a lot but the kids are grown-up, 2 at Uni, 1 at home, but it's still hard to split cycle time and home time.

What I have done in the past is find a time to cycle that has the least impact on family life. For a long while that was either after 9pm weekdays. I even formed a Dads Sunday evening ride group and we'd meet at 8 pm for 25 miles come hell or waters high. I think it kept us same!

That's just kinda how it is.
Thanks Fab Foodie :-) guess in a weird way it's good to know that it's not just me! Like the idea of of an evening ride - especially on nights like this!
P.s. The kids road bike is still getting a lot of miles in on the turbo at Enterprise club!

RWright

Guru
Get some good lights and maybe do a little night riding if possible. I enjoy riding at night. My schedule sometimes makes it a little difficult to find time to ride and I just go out at night. Much less traffic around here at night too.

Oops, I missed Fab Foodie's post.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Don't suppose it would be feasible to leave a bike at work and grab the occasional half hour in your lunch break. Would be better than nothing providing you have reasonable facilities for a freshen up?
TBH it's not great but have been working through lunch most days as I've committed to running clubs before and after school a few days a week...maybe I'm stretching myself a bit too far...difficult as I want to give the kids as many opportunities as poss.

sittingbull

Veteran
Could you commute by bike?

If not, assuming you drive, could you park up somewhere secure 10 - 15 miles from work and cycle the remainder?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Could you commute by bike?

If not, assuming you drive, could you park up somewhere secure 10 - 15 miles from work and cycle the remainder?
Hi sittingbull...thanks for the reply. I was commuting for quite a while and it made such a difference as it really set me up for the day. Unfortunately, I haven't had chance recently as travelling commitments as well as meetings etc would mean that I wouldn't see the kids on some days of the week - I promised myself that when I took the job, I'd make sure that I saw them everyday if possible.

Jayaly

I don't have a solution I can offer; I had to give up pretty much everything I did outside work to care for the kids, but kudos for being so committed to making time with your kids. It's a tough few years but eventually they catch you up and can do pretty much anything you can. That's fun.

young Ed

Veteran
t'is hard, some days i end up working 15+hour days and then put on top of that anything that needs doing at home machinery, animals, building, maintenance etc etc
so some times i just end up having to lay off the bike for weeks or even months on end, now is one of the worst for me and cycling. just finished lambing, shearing is due to start any moment now (and that is long, hard, back breaking, hot work) and the hay season is within arms reach now (more long, hard, back breaking, hot work) and we are just starting with the major grass cutting operation round here and depending on how much i cut and how thorough i am etc that takes anywhere from half a day (working 07:00-14:00) to a full day (07:00-dark) and fingers crossed i'll find some work silage and/or harvest this year so for me the cycling is lost at the moment!

not complaining about the work, i love the work and wouldn't trade it for anything and need the money as well but it does mean the bike has a rest for a few months. although i have considered either cycling or running for just an hour or two even if after dark, i might well start soon. i'll see how i feel after a hard days work tomorrow
Cheers Ed

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can I make a suggestion?

He's 7. Get him on his own bike plus a Trailgator. It'll help get him used to riding by himself and in a couple of years you'll be on decent-length rides together.

How do I know? My 10 year-old goes on club runs with me, up to about 50 miles. He's not the fastest but also not the slowest. We've had a couple of years riding together and I enjoy riding with him.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can I make a suggestion?

He's 7. Get him on his own bike plus a Trailgator. It'll help get him used to riding by himself and in a couple of years you'll be on decent-length rides together.

How do I know? My 10 year-old goes on club runs with me, up to about 50 miles. He's not the fastest but also not the slowest. We've had a couple of years riding together and I enjoy riding with him.
THIS^^^^
I have a 12yr old and a 9yr old and sometimes they can both catch me out with an unexpected turn of speed or endurance. Oldest son did the 60 mile Manchester Blackpool ride with me and my work colleaugues last year (@potsy ) at the age of 11 and they will both do 10 miles off-road around MTB centres like Cwmcarn or Llandegla so are not afraid of hills. I still rule the roost in terms of overall speed and endurance but I don't know how long for...... :surrender:

U

User482

As the parent of two young children, I've come to accept that solo/ club cycling is going to take a back-seat for a few years. Luckily, I'm able to cycle commute and do the nursery run with a trailer, so I still get to stretch my legs. When I get the chance, I'll post some details of the family mini-tour we did recently.

You could look at night riding - it's great fun, especially on a mtb.

Top Bottom