So who’s fault......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Just saw an interesting incident. Fortunately nobody hurt.

Old bloke cycling through town. Helmet, hiviz, not going fast. Roads quiet, but lots of parked cars.

A couple of younger guys, in high spirits - might have had a beer or two - larking about on the pavement. Young guys don’t see the old guy coming, and step out onto the road.

Old guy collides with one of the younger guys.

Nobody hurt, apologies all round, everyone goes on their way.

Who was at fault?

Sounds pretty clear cut, doesn’t it.

But I omitted to mention that the old guy was going the wrong way up a one-way street, and didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Both parties.

Next question

The cyclist. You (at the very least) if coming from an unexpected direction have a duty to look out for other road users who might reasonably not expect you to be coming from that direction.

Plus he was breaking the law.

Drago

Legendary Member
It was also not not stated.... if that makes sense? .

No, it makes no sense.

You describe some oiled up lads stepping into a road and make no mention of them looking, then ask a question about 'fault'.

Legally the cyclist may be at fault. Morally, you shouldn't be so beer'd up that you needlessly endanger yourself (or endanger others if the cyclist had been going in the correct direction.)

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
I just stated what I saw. I don’t know for sure if the guys looked or not. I don’t know for sure if they had been drinking - all I know is that they were on the pavement, being a bit noisy, maybe a bit rowdy, moved onto the road, got hit by a bike going the wrong way.

Nobody hurt.

Top Bottom