So who’s fault......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK, so you've presented no evidence they looked. No point speculating about that which you did not see when considering a response.

In the absence of such evidence the cyclist may be legally at faults, the pith heads morally sharing some responsibility as well, for reasons I've already explained.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you sure there wasn't an "except cycles" plate or other loophole on the one way?

I think everyone's to blame, to varying degrees. Several highway code rules warn pedestrians to check both directions... it's not unknown for motorists to drive the wrong way along one ways... but the cyclist should try to avoid riding so close to walkers that it causes a crash if they step out, or at least ring his bell on approach.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Can't really comment.

When I took my scout cycling badge, we were tested by the police in their St Helens HQ. Then told to take a curcuit round the town. On our we back, we took a wrong turn and unintentially rode the wrong way down a one way street back to the HQ.

And we passed!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
ermmm...the oiled up laddos obviously forgot what they were taught in the Tufty Club...."Look ALL around for traffic, and listen" before crossing. Maybe they (and the cyclist) should attend the next Pedestrian Training session the year4s get at their local primary school.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The road is for cyclists, even if they are riding in the wrong direction. What the hell were pedestrians doing on the road?

Sorry, tht was a usual CycleChat answer. :O)

They were both at fault. The cyclist for riding the wrong way and the peds for treating the street as a playground and not being able to hold their beer.

... as opposed to the kind that makes you say “who the **** are you looking at”...

That would be the "Red Bull"

There is research that this stuff makes drunks hyper and more aggressive. In some places in the US and France the two re not allowed to be sold together

keithmac

Guru
I was nearly hit by a cyclist riding the wrong way down a one way street when I was roadtesting a bike last week.

Looked both ways at the junction (I was turning right into the one way), started to relase the clutch lever and the idiot cycled past right in front of me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looked both ways at the junction (I was turning right into the one way), started to relase the clutch lever and the idiot cycled past right in front of me.
I don't get it: how did you not see the idiot if you looked both ways? Do you mean it was a "looked but failed to see"?

al78

Guru
Primarily the pedestrians, (going by the limited information it sounds like they weren't paying attention) if (and I mean if) the pedestrians stepped in front of the cyclist so close that the cyclist had no chance to avoid a collision (which is possible), with a small portion of blame attached to the cyclist for cycling in an unexpected manner (the wrong way along a one way street). If the cyclist theoretically had time to avoid or brake at the moment they were evidently going to step out or were stepping out then 50-50.

I agree the cyclist should not be riding the wrong way down a one way street, but it is also wrong to go around assuming everyone else is always going to do everything right. Sometimes people do things wrong.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/moralistic/

Top Bottom