So who’s the best band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Half Man Half Biscuit. The main reason more people don't say or write this when asked this question is the band's complete lack of ambition in promoting themselves. They are what they are and discover them if you want. If not, no skin off their nose. That kind of attitude makes those of us who love them love them more.
I remember them appearing on the Andy Kershaw radio show , they closed the programme with a terrific / bonkers version of the Webb Pierce classic “ There stands the glass “.

My choice of band Runrig , no I’m not Scottish

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not a band, Per se. But I think Robbie Williams was the last of the old school who will still be listened to in 20 years time. But there now seems to be a never ending conveyor of also rans, generated by Simon Cowell type shows.

For me. Im an Eagles and Fleetwood Mac fan.

yello

I've been back-burner thinking about this off and on, and I think, for me, I would nominate a band for at least recognition in the category. A band mentioned before in this thread - Radiohead.

For me, the progression in their work is impressive. Their desire to change and go places musically. I remember first hearing them, and thinking they were a talented but perhaps somewhat 'of the era' grunge-type band. A cut above it's true but none-the-less a little bit playing to a crowd. 'Creep' gave them a following, a popularity, that only really associated them with other acts, confirmed their place in a teen-angst crunge fold. But then, rather than cement that, they moved on. Their 'OK Computer' album is nothing short of stellar and has to be considered amongst the best albums of the decade, if not 20th century. Then they moved on again, away from standard rock beats and pursuing a different musical direction and playing around rhythmically.

As for influential, you'll hear their work (either as a band or as individual musicians) in the soundtracks of many a film or TV show. And, of course, many other bands and musicians have taken strands from their work as the basis for their own work.

Now I know they're not to everyone's taste (misery music is an oft heard criticism!) but for me they are certainly up amongst the 'best' bands.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been back-burner thinking about this off and on, and I think, for me, I would nominate a band for at least recognition in the category. A band mentioned before in this thread - Radiohead.

For me, the progression in their work is impressive. Their desire to change and go places musically. I remember first hearing them, and thinking they were a talented but perhaps somewhat 'of the era' grunge-type band. A cut above it's true but none-the-less a little bit playing to a crowd. 'Creep' gave them a following, a popularity, that only really associated them with other acts, confirmed their place in a teen-angst crunge fold. But then, rather than cement that, they moved on. Their 'OK Computer' album is nothing short of stellar and has to be considered amongst the best albums of the decade, if not 20th century. Then they moved on again, away from standard rock beats and pursuing a different musical direction and playing around rhythmically.

As for influential, you'll hear their work (either as a band or as individual musicians) in the soundtracks of many a film or TV show. And, of course, many other bands and musicians have taken strands from their work as the basis for their own work.

Now I know they're not to everyone's taste (misery music is an oft heard criticism!) but for me they are certainly up amongst the 'best' bands.
Yep that 'crunch'of a 'string muted' electric guitar could only be a Telecaster, nothing else has that aggression to it. It's also funny on some pub 'streaming' jukeboxes that they play the album version and not the sanitised clean single version :laugh: and I speak as someone who once almost emptied a big 'seafront' pub in Southsea.
I'll set the scene, as mentioned a big pub full of families and a jukebox full of classic singles that was turned up fairly (very) loud.Amongst the happy stuff was John Lennon 'Imagine' (quite a pleasant song) but it was the original single and guess what the 'B' side is ..............Working Class Hero (one of my favourite Lennon songs

View: https://youtu.be/D77dbv-xNfE

they looked up a bit at the first sweary word but with the line "You're still F........g peasants as far as I can see" there was a mass exodus (this was 1980 BTW) shame they left as the next song was Python Lee Jackson's 'In A Broken Dream'

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep that 'crunch'of a 'string muted' electric guitar could only be a Telecaster, nothing else has that aggression to it. It's also funny on some pub 'streaming' jukeboxes that they play the album version and not the sanitised clean single version :laugh: and I speak as someone who once almost emptied a big 'seafront' pub in Southsea.
I'll set the scene, as mentioned a big pub full of families and a jukebox full of classic singles that was turned up fairly (very) loud.Amongst the happy stuff was John Lennon 'Imagine' (quite a pleasant song) but it was the original single and guess what the 'B' side is ..............Working Class Hero (one of my favourite Lennon songs

View: https://youtu.be/D77dbv-xNfE

they looked up a bit at the first sweary word but with the line "You're still F........g peasants as far as I can see" there was a mass exodus (this was 1980 BTW) shame they left as the next song was Python Lee Jackson's 'In A Broken Dream'

Like I say only a Telecaster could sound like that

Warning NSFW

View: https://youtu.be/XFkzRNyygfk

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not a band, Per se. But I think Robbie Williams was the last of the old school who will still be listened to in 20 years time. But there now seems to be a never ending conveyor of also rans, generated by Simon Cowell type shows.

For me. Im an Eagles and Fleetwood Mac fan.
You think the era that produced the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac wasn't full of also-rans?

You're selecting two bands from hundreds and comparing them with the hundreds of current bands.

Current artists are no less talented than artists of a previous generation

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Im an Eagles and Fleetwood Mac fan.
I was idly wondering last night whether Fleetwood Mac would get a nod in this thread, after listening by pure chance to consecutive tracks by 'both' Fleetwood Macs: Jumping at Shadows, from the era when they were the very best of British blues (a (guitarist) friend recently told me Peter Green was the one peer BB King really rated), and the sublime Landslide, from the Nicks/Buckingham era. At their best, in either genre, they were surely among the very best. To be among the best twice surely makes them the best +/- x 2. Ie, unarguably, mathematically, The Best.

Chief Broom

Veteran
This thread is interesting hearing what floats peoples boats but obviously there isnt an answer ^_^
I like many bands but very few have something exceptional which'll make my hair stand on end! :laugh: Hendrix would do it for me and Iggy and the Stooges. I reckon its all about the level of commitment, I like Dr Feelgood....great band but they werent 'plugged into the mains' like Iggy who gave his all...rolling around on broken glass is pretty committed right! :laugh:
IMHO there are competent workmanlike musicians and then there are the batshit crazies who'll stretch the limits--theyre the ones i'll remember! ^_^

Top Bottom