So who’s the best band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I could say similar about the Beatles.

Hey, and guess what? You're allowed to! (and I know you know that, I realise from your previous posts sorta where you're coming from)

I like these discussions, not least because of their back and forth, around and around nature, but people do (I hope) realise that there are significant amounts of subjectivity involved. If all done in a friendly and banter-ish way then no worries, but such discussions can never be answered in anything like a definitive way. Were the Rolling Stones influential? Yes. Were the Beatles? Yes. Most artists influence others, such is the nature of art. But as to who's "the best"? Pick a side and wear the shirt (or tattoo your knob)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This thread reminds me of the letters page of Melody Maker in about 1969....

"Clapton is God"
"Complete crap, Man. Page is way faster."
"Alvin Lee makes them both look like stoned-out snails."

Happy memories.....

There was a time when I couldn't wait for MM and NME to come out. :smile:

I think that bands put together by people like Simon Cowell are doomed to have a short lifespan, whereas bands that are formed by one or two mates, who then get other mates involved because they can play a certain instrument and get their fame the hard way, playing the dodgy pubs, clubs are the ones with staying power
Although the intellectual property rights may reside with Simon, the talent can be refreshed at regular intervals to ensure Greatness.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
... but have a theory that the (pop/rock) music of one's youth has the strongest and most lasting impact.

Some while ago we had some good friends around for an evening and at some point we decided to take turns at choosing the next Spotify track whilst playing cards.

'We' were very contemporary and 'they' were very 'harking back to their youth'. Which, incidentally, more or less coincided with our youth.

Following some Web research it transpires that some 70-80% of people 'stick' with an era or style of music from their formative years with the remainder surfing a more contemporary wave.

The former category also had a higher incidence of repeat watching films, TV series, stage shows and re-reading books.

Our friends to a tee.

No right or wrong etc it's just the way people are.

Drago

Legendary Member
Batch22 are the best band. May as well lock the thread now.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I was inspired to go and check on the top 25 most played songs on my iPod (I'm so old I still use one, mostly fed by CDs). The results were interesting to say the least. The Top 3 artists were:

The Zutons
Kraftwerk
Stereo Total

as well as entries from Cream, Blur, The Hives, James, The Pixies and Franz Ferdinand.

I was surprised that the list doesn't include anything by The B52s, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Propaganda, Depeche Mode; or even Jean-Michel Jarre, all of which I think I listen to more.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Half Man Half Biscuit. The main reason more people don't say or write this when asked this question is the band's complete lack of ambition in promoting themselves. They are what they are and discover them if you want. If not, no skin off their nose. That kind of attitude makes those of us who love them love them more.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Half Man Half Biscuit. The main reason more people don't say or write this when asked this question is the band's complete lack of ambition in promoting themselves. They are what they are and discover them if you want. If not, no skin off their nose. That kind of attitude makes those of us who love them love them more.
That's often the way when musicians are young and idealistic and think promotion doesn't matter. Bob Marley was like that and also couldn't be bothered with the money and fame. I remember Richard Thompson had that attitude in his twenties but later came to realise needed to do it.
Both have come to endure.

carpiste

Guru
I always find it funny that people can say this is the best song ever....that is the best band ever.... why? Because we all change our favorites with our moods. That`s the nature of music I feel.
Me? I have always had several "go to" favorite bands, Squeeze, Dr Feelgood, Stones, Beetles, Oasis, Queen, Stranglers...
But there`s always room for more ^_^
As far as individuals are concerned that`s more difficult but again my "go to" list is Bowie, Francis Dunnery, Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roger Hodgson...
Now I know I`m going to spend all night listening to tunes ^_^

They are my favourite band ... whose records I've never bought! Think I'm in love with their low-key cult reputation. And their bonkers lyrics/titles.

Top Bottom