So, yesterday I went to buy a suit.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Trousers are relatively easy to get altered, the most important thing is getting a jacket that fits across the shoulders and the chest. You can have waists of jackets taken in quite easily too. If you are going to buy something to get altered, I'd advise paying some attention to the quality of the fabric and basic manufacturing.

IME, M&S seem to make trousers for people who are carrying a lot of extra weight. I second the recommendations for Slaters Menswear and also Raja, who made me a wedding suit to match a suit my dad had cut in the mid-60s, and they did it perfectly. I would also add a big recommendation for Suit Supply, who have a few stores in the UK now, mainly in London, but who make hands down the best OTR suits and more at a reasonable price. They have several different basic cuts, and will alter for you too. You can also buy online or check out their range at www.suitsupply.co.uk

These days, I tend to get my suits vintage bargains on ebay or on the buying and selling sections of menswear forums (but you have to know your own measurements and what you are looking at and for) and otherwise, more occasionally, bespoke. Yes, it is expensive but the satisfaction is worth it (to me).

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I haven't bought a suit in 25 years. I hate them.

That's a true and a false then. :okay:

puntgun.jpg

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've had success, but let me reply to a few comments first.
I popped into TM Lewin in Manchester and the service was great, the jacket wasn't a great fit and while the chap in the shop said they could alter it, being a good way from home a return journey did seem a bit of a hassle, so I left it. I'd be tempted to give them another try though.

Trousers are relatively easy to get altered, the most important thing is getting a jacket that fits across the shoulders and the chest. You can have waists of jackets taken in quite easily too. If you are going to buy something to get altered, I'd advise paying some attention to the quality of the fabric and basic manufacturing.

IME, M&S seem to make trousers for people who are carrying a lot of extra weight. I second the recommendations for Slaters Menswear and also Raja, who made me a wedding suit to match a suit my dad had cut in the mid-60s, and they did it perfectly. I would also add a big recommendation for Suit Supply, who have a few stores in the UK now, mainly in London, but who make hands down the best OTR suits and more at a reasonable price. They have several different basic cuts, and will alter for you too. You can also buy online or check out their range at www.suitsupply.co.uk

These days, I tend to get my suits vintage bargains on ebay or on the buying and selling sections of menswear forums (but you have to know your own measurements and what you are looking at and for) and otherwise, more occasionally, bespoke. Yes, it is expensive but the satisfaction is worth it (to me).
I admit that M&S was my first go to place for just the reasons you say. In the past I've been very happy with the cut and quality and as you say they do tend to favour classic styles for the, er.... 'gentleman of a certain age'. It seems that many of their styles are a bit trendier these days, they have a lot of skinny fit suits and even their classic fit are tight around the thigh/seat on me.
I haven't bought a suit in 25 years. I hate them.
In my opinion nothing looks as good on a man as a well fitting suit. I love the look, if we all liked the same things, the world would be a very dull place.

Well, I called into my local M&S today, not expecting to see anything different than the huge shop in Manchester and found a suit that not only fits in the jacket, but the trousers are good too!! Hurrah:hyper:
I've gone for the 36 trousers and while they have enough room around the thigh/seat area they don't look like I'm wearing clown trousers or a nappy!
They had the suit in nice mid blue and a light/mid grey. Because I'd had so much trouble finding anything I bought both.:eek:
At least they'll last a good while, the wool is good quality, from an English mill and I'm made up with them.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. You are, in the main, a very helpful bunch.:okay:
:cheers:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. You are, in the main, a very helpful bunch.:okay:
:cheers:

Glad it was useful. I tried to start a thread on style here once and in general the responses were along the lines of 'what's that?' and 'I only wear cycling gear or jeans and a T-shirt'... ;)

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Glad it was useful. I tried to start a thread on style here once and in general the responses were along the lines of 'what's that?' and 'I only wear cycling gear or jeans and a T-shirt'... ;)
Yes, it can be a bit frustrating when you post something, seriously asking for opinions, only for the whole thread to be derailed by the usual mickey takers.

Top Bottom