Soapbox - Open it up and moderate it?

Soapbox changes

• Make Soapbox unmoderated and "open" (as it originally was)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Make Soapbox unmoderated and an "opt-in" forum (as it is now)

• Make Soapbox moderated and open

• Close Soapbox

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

redcogs said:
whatever redders said....blah de blah etc :tongue::angry:

I would mostly agree with this redders, but soapbox has become (IMO) a bit pointless and needlessly abusive of late irespective of the "history" you claim to exist - I reckon there is scope for a "new, more sensible, non abusive" section discussing similar topics as raised in soapbox, but without the "need" for getting personal - a bit of thought but without the abuse.

Abuse is what it appears to be - stop colluding with the right-wing powers!

bonj said:
You presumably would still see its threads in 'new posts'.
As so often, you presume wrong. It also doesn't show up when you click on someone's profile and look at posts they've made or threads that they've started.

spire said:
Soapbox is a place for robust debate and thick-skins. The regulars are all very happy with it, otherwise they wouldn't be regulars.

We really don't want much moderation. (The existing 'light touch' is spot-on.)

Pussies should stick to Cafe.:becool:

I agree with this. I don't post much in Soapbox, but I don't get offended by stuff in there. And if I did, I just wouldn't read it. Simple.

Tetedelacourse

I think the temporary change adds value and I hope it becomes permanent. It does not come across as a friendly forum, which is embedded in the ethos of CC if the logo is worth anything. And those who still want to use it can do so if they want to. In my experience, there isn't a lot of reasoned healthy debate, whether that's what was intended or not. I do think a few members try to make it that way but are fighting an uphill battle in doing so.

Rhythm Thief said:
I agree with this. I don't post much in Soapbox, but I don't get offended by stuff in there. And if I did, I just wouldn't read it. Simple.
Being offended isn't really the problem. Using that as way of dismissing the people who dislike the place just illustrates the pointless machismo that permeates it. It's the 'noise' that the place generates, the boorish thud and blunder of it. That's the problem...

Rhythm Thief said:
Quite apart from anything else, if Soapbox is to become moderated, I and the other mods will probably have to go full time and get Shaun to pay us a wage.:becool::idea:
Like I said earlier on this thread...
There's a whole world of pain there if you try modding it. The registration solution is a good and realistic compromise.

Noodley

spire said:
Soapbox is a place for robust debate and thick-skins. The regulars are all very happy with it, otherwise they wouldn't be regulars.

We really don't want much moderation. (The existing 'light touch' is spot-on.)

Pussies should stick to Cafe.:becool:

Fair enough spire, and this "used" to be the case. It was very much based on "topics" then developed - but when I had to see yenrods title thread calling me a t**t and then his ****witted post I decided it was time to move on. He is one of the "new breed" (despite being a "oldie") of ****wits who frequent soapbox just to spout pish and try to cause an argument with nothing to add...

Renard

Noodley said:
Fair enough spire, and this "used" to be the case. It was very much based on "topics" then developed - but when I had to see yenrods title thread calling me a t**t and then his ****witted post I decided it was time to move on. He is one of the "new breed" (despite being a "oldie") of ****wits who frequent soapbox just to spout pish and try to cause an argument with nothing to add...

Gie 'im a square go, a'll gie ye haunners! :becool:

Noodley

Renard said:
Gie 'im a square go, a'll gie ye haunners! :becool:

Nah, he had his vile say, and then deleted his posts - he is now (not "on" as he "is") my "ignore list". But he is an example of where soapbox has gone :idea:

cuddy duck

Rhythm Thief said:
Quite apart from anything else, if Soapbox is to become moderated, I and the other mods will probably have to go full time and get Shaun to pay us a wage.:becool::idea:
You're a moderator too?!
Jesus, what a sink. Not withstanding chuffy's efforts as parish-council press officer.
Rhythm Thief said:
Cuddy Duck was a 100% apple-pie copper bottomed now with wings buy one get one free lifetime guaranteed self-gratification artist. And presumably still is.
So remind me, what was mr endon barred for?

redcogs

Guru
You have referred to the 'ginger beard' a few times zimmer. Are you two acquainted then? i can't imagine a strong friendship binding the two of you - but i've often been wrong.

Top Bottom