soapbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Admin said:
I'm more than happy to take ideas from people about Soapbox and how we could improve things, but I'm not prepared to lose forum members because of it!!!
Fair do's then sir.

My only worry is that this place can be clique enough already. Sticking yet more barriers to access in front of forums can not be good for attracting new members.

However, If that many people are complaining then perhaps you have found the right solution. Who knows?!

Although conversley the introduction of more members into Soabox may well also dilute some of its content somewhat?

It’s a sensible workaround in my opinion. My preference would be to have an Ignore button for any given area of the board, or to scrap Soapbox completely and bring the threads within the Café, with (hopefully) a resulting alteration in poster’s behaviour. However, there are always going to be technical issues with the board software and I imagine that not everyone would be happy with the second solution. All of the stuff about this being a sad day for free speech is just overblown hogwash. It’s still there, just tick the box. It’s not easy to simply turn a blind eye to Soapbox, I’ve been trying very hard to avoid it but even so, once you’re aware that it’s there it’s impossible to tune it out completely. The solution that Shaun has decided on is a way of doing that without compromising people’s opportunity to scrap and snarl at each other. Soapbox brings out the worst in people, me included, and anything that makes it easier for me to avoid it can only be good.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
The anonymity of cyberspace allows people to say stuff in Soapbox they wouldn't even dream of saying to them face-to-face.
I bet if I ever met some of the main protagonists, they'd be nothing like their online persona.

Well, one hopes so - we like to think there aren't too many people like some of them...:rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Tim Bennet. said:
But if any news of Zimbabwe was filtered out by your 'ignore' function, you would have no knowledge of it at all. Now that would be Mugabe's idea of 'utopia'.

The analogy is that we must know about Zimbabwe and if you don't like what you see, be prepared to say 'enough is enough'. You can't do this if you have you filters set to 'ignore'. Conversely it doesn't mean you have to visit the place and hang out there for any length of time to know some things are just not right.

Yes, and you've got a good point. I guess I'm partly thinking of my own self-interest here. Every time I go in there I tend to poke people with sticks, and I'm not proud of that. :rolleyes: It's a tough one, and I'm not really adding anything to the debate here, so I'll leave the thread now.

Patrick Stevens said:
Well put. I'm not overly impressed by those who claim to be offended all the time and only want to mingle in a small circle of like minded people.

I don't think it's well put because the analogy falls down on the simple fact that most people make choices to avoid the things they don't like. They may go away to experience new things which will include things they like and don't like but they won't go back to somewhere/something they don't like.

I also think the view is rather condescending as if people can't really cope with real life if they can't cope with Soapbox; what utter rubbish.

This is not some brave new world, it's a forum, a cycling forum at that and the only thing that's been done here is to offer people the choice to view or not view something.

If I want an argument/discussion I can go back to Soapbox or join another forum.

As for the offended bit, you just made that up. Most are not offended they're just jaded with same old Soapbox antics of which you are a major contributor, and I don't mean that in a negative way, merely a statement of fact.

It's simple choice, you opt in, I'll opt out; thanks.

TheDoctor said:
Yes, and you've got a good point. I guess I'm partly thinking of my own self-interest here. Every time I go in there I tend to poke people with sticks, and I'm not proud of that. :rolleyes: It's a tough one, and I'm not really adding anything to the debate here, so I'll leave the thread now.
Very honest of you Doctor. Pretty close to my situation too.

(typed this earlier, at work on a blank e-mail....)
It’s worth pointing out that Soapbox has long ceased to be a place where people with different views debated with each other. It’s more like a WW1 battlefield with the protagonists lobbing mortars from well entrenched positions. There isn’t much special or precious about it.

wafflycat

I don't see a problem. If I want 'robust' argument, I'll sign up for soapbox. If I don't, I won't.

ChrisKH

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
Well put. I'm not overly impressed by those who claim to be offended all the time and only want to mingle in a small circle of like minded people.

Equally, in real life the majority of us don't spend our time debating and arguing the point (well maybe just you Patrick, but that's your living) and will do what they can to avoid conflict, if not for an easy life, then just to get along. Life's too short.

Having said that the Utopia version is just a little bit twee for my liking.

Sean's suggestion in my view is a compromise. And we all have to do that from time to time, otherwise life would be unbearable. Well it would for me.

simonali

Guru
Arch said:
Frankly, I'd get rid of soapbox and delete anyone who started soapbox type tactics in any other section...

That sounds rather like a "benevolent" dictatorship to me!

Smeggers

tdr1nka said:
In which case, in order to be more egalitarian, we should now ask for the ignore facility to be removed?;)
Yep. And if you swear you should be made to read 'The Complete Works of Simoncc" :smile:

Top Bottom