Socially acceptable bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All bicycles are lovely.

I delight in seeing beautiful Colnago or bespoke British steel... even zappy plastic whizzbang TT jobs. None is unacceptable.

Some riders and owners can be cocks, imagining that strangers are impressed by (or even want to know) the weight of their wheelset or the number of calories they have climbed or why they have the same handlebar as Bradley Foggins... But there are dullards and geek-boor bores in every walk of life, so why not cycling?

Socially unacceptable bicycles? I'd even be accepting of one with a saddle made from the skin of culled seal pups. Bicycles are lovely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I want a race bike for summer evening hooligan rides with my buddy. A LBS owner is trying to tempt me to buy a brand new Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro reduced from £4000 to £2000, which I think would be the cycling equivalent of buying a Ferrari. I am 56 but not fat at all and I've been cycling seriously since 1988. I don't spend any money on cars, booze, fags or any other hobby or obsession; is £2000 on a hooligan bike unacceptable?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I want a race bike for summer evening hooligan rides with my buddy. A LBS owner is trying to tempt me to buy a brand new Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro reduced from £4000 to £2000, Thats a steel mate where the heck is your lbs ?

is £2000 on a hooligan bike unacceptable? NO :biggrin:

Lee_M

Guru
I want a race bike for summer evening hooligan rides with my buddy. A LBS owner is trying to tempt me to buy a brand new Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro reduced from £4000 to £2000, which I think this would be the cycling equivalent of buying a Ferrari. I am 56 but not fat at all and I've been cycling seriously since 1988. I don't spend any money on cars, booze, fags or any other hobby or obsession; is £2000 on a hooligan bike unacceptable?

nope it's not enough

Ningishzidda

I bought my wife a £60 ladies MTB from Aldi. Step through frame 'Atlanta eighteen speed' A pinky purpley colour. Resin coated brake handles and cranks. To test it, I rode the Tutnall Green 100 Audax on it. That was in 1996. She's still got it and uses it regularly.

a saddle made from the skin of culled seal pups.

I think Rapha do one of those.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I want a race bike for summer evening hooligan rides with my buddy. A LBS owner is trying to tempt me to buy a brand new Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro reduced from £4000 to £2000, which I think would be the cycling equivalent of buying a Ferrari. I am 56 but not fat at all and I've been cycling seriously since 1988. I don't spend any money on cars, booze, fags or any other hobby or obsession; is £2000 on a hooligan bike unacceptable?

Sounds totally acceptable to me and the SL4 is a great bike imho :thumbsup:

Im thinking about buying this Pinarello DOGMA 65.1 Think 2 EPS Giro d'Italia Special Edition for my girl... in line with the threads question would you consider this to be a socially acceptable road bike for a young lady?

pinarello+giro+d%27italia+edition.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds totally acceptable to me and the SL4 is a great bike imho :thumbsup:

Im thinking about buying this Pinarello DOGMA 65.1 Think 2 EPS Giro d'Italia Special Edition for my girl... in line with the threads question would you consider this to be a socially acceptable road bike for a young lady?

pinarello+giro+d%27italia+edition.jpg

Not for your lady no... but would go nicely with Dave's pink Rapha top...:becool:

Colnago, yes. Pinarello, no. DeRosa, yes. Bianchi, no. Gios, yes. Mercian, yes. Thorn no. Spez, Trek, Giant, Merida, Marin, Kona (road), no. Ribble, no. Argos, yes. BSA, Triumph, Rudge, Phillips, Carlton, Holdsworth, Hetchins, Humber, yes. Raleigh, never. Cannondale, no. Pre 1990 Claude Butler and Saracen, yes. Battaglin, yes. Boardman, no. Batavus, yes. Gazelle, no. Atlas, Flying pigeon, no. Schwinn, yes. Murray, no. GM, no. Ford, yes. Honda, yes. Toyota, no.

Am I sure about these choices? Yes
Is there any rhyme or reason to any of this? No.

S1mon

i have just got one of those im younger than you but im also fat!!!!
if it is not accepted by others then tough i like it and i love cycling!!!!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
So long as you acknowledge other cyclists when you're riding it then it's socially acceptaple- getting bored of MAMILs with their elitism on their bankers bonus roadies who're too busy watching their cadence to nod a hello.
(Certain exclusions apply if you ride in a city and would therefore be like a nodding dog for the duration of your ride)

Top Bottom