Sod helmets - should I wear glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I do not know what insects are made of, but Oh Boy, their mashed up chemicals are really horrid inside your eye socket. The initial hit hurts, but the acid sting takes on a whole new dimension, shortly thereafter.

Any suggestions for protection are welcome.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I have some raleigh ones with changeable lenses. Clear, yellow and tinted. I never cycle without them. Yellow helps improve night visibility and the rest are obvious.

PBancroft

I bought some cheapo glasses from Aldi just before winter. They've got switchable lenses (clear, lightly tinted, and dark). Really miss them when I forget to put them on.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
A scratched cornea is not fun - worn glasses on the bike since then (about 6 years back). They protected my eyes when I came off last year too - lens had a nice scratch on them eyes fine.....

I wear cycling safety glasses with either clear, yellow or dark lenses depending on lighting conditions.
They do a great job of stopping flies, dust, rain and wind from getting in your eyes.
That and the winter buff are probably my most practical and useful bits of cycle clothing :smile:

Suerdusty

Always wear glasses on bike, but then my eyesight is that bad I couldn't find the bike without them :smile:

Shady

Always wear a helmet and my Oakleys - different lenses for different light conditions.

Ideal for stopping the wind stinging my eyes !!

Shady

NigC

This was goning to be my next question :smile: (it's true).

I wear contacts and it's a complete nightmare when something gets in your eye, but I've always been a bit concerned about glasses/goggles misting up, so haven't yet given them a try.

But it sounds like a lot of you are wearing some form of eye protection withour any roblems, so I'm going to invest in them the next time I'm near the bike shop :becool:

Mark_Robson said:
I always wear eye protection when I'm cycling, I have safety glasses in clear, orange or tinted, so all options are covered. If you are going to wear glasses then I would advise wearing impact resistant glasses with polycarbonate lenses.

Wouldn't it be amusing if there were an anti glasses faction that tried to argue against the use of glasses by quoting some wonderful statistic like, more people are injured by foreign bodies entering their eyes on a beach in high winds than receive eye injuries whilst cycling and posted a picture of a toddler sitting on a beach in safety goggles, just to get the point across.

...and someone could try and enforce glasses wearing on bicycles.

They could suggest that only the eye injuries on the road were the ones that counted and all the ones on the beach were somehow acceptable.

Then they could, claim that suggestions like wearing wider glasses that offered all round protection, didn't come off when involved in an impact with grit, were properly fitted and of a high standard was "anti glasses"

Then as a piece de resistance....we could have the suggestion that only pro-glasses evidence was valid and must be acted upon.

If someone suggested that sand in the eyes from a windswept beach was as dangerous as grit on a road and both would benefit protection, these people would then could then quote press reports to prove that cycle glasses were neccessary. Yet if the same safety organisations and professional groups suggested that the beach gasses would save injury - we should hypocritically ignore the same organisations and professionals - when it didn't meet their pro-compulsion agenda?

That would be even more amusing.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Reasons I wear the goggles: flies and insects (obviously) but also grit from local industrial yards gets blown up, I also wear them as they alleiviate from direct pollen hits. :smile:

During the cold or windy weather I suffer with watery eyes anyway, and find it helps there.

I'm told the more expensive shades are more water repellent for riding in the rain. The cheaper ones are made of naff plastic and even treating with silicone sprays and motorbike visor sprays doesnt seem to work too well.

wesa

I used to wear cheap clear or tinted glasses as the mood took me. I just started wearing contacts and used my glasses a lot more as I was very nervous about the contacts (optician recommended some saline sachets, I now car a couple with me). Then I went out with a pair of Oakleys on; I don't think I will ever go back to my cheap glasses.
On a dusty, sweaty 30 mile loop I did not have to clean them once, the lenses were spotless all the way home.

Chrisc

Guru
Stig-OT-Dump said:
OK - so the helmet debate is raging on another thread, but I want to know:
Should I wear glasses when I ride?
Chuckies, flies, dust and grit - they're all out to get me. Am I gambling with my sight each time I go our barefaced? Answers on a postcard please........
Tis up to you mate :smile:

Top Bottom