Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chickendrumsticks

I wish i had a friend like that! Just got my frame back from the refinishers (powder coaters actually). The usual terrific glossy finish. I'm having white panels on seat tube and head tube - although I'm going to do the masking myself. Here's a little pic.

Attachments

• greyinnit.JPG
    greyinnit.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 47

chickendrumsticks

So, frame back from the sprayer, who made a pretty good job of the white panels. Strangely, he had contrived to finish the seat tube panel with its ends parallel to the top tube, not at right angles to the seat tube! I guess it's my fault for not making the instructions clear... Hence 16mm bands from Steve at hlloyd cycles, in addition to the thin 4mm red jobs I'd already ordered that wouldn't have covered up the error. But I used the thin ones as well. See the pics. Usual fab decals from Steve have lifted the finish beyond that I could have hoped for.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 72
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 72

pawl

Legendary Member
Had this picture posted on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes Facebook page by Ian Watson and also commented

" My first proper bike, an Eddie Soens from the Boaler Street shop, c/w Mafac centre-pull brakes, had it from age 15, my pride and joy, then after I was married the mother-in-law gave it to the bin men, I was gutted "

View attachment 120809
Had this picture posted on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes Facebook page by Ian Watson and also commented

" My first proper bike, an Eddie Soens from the Boaler Street shop, c/w Mafac centre-pull brakes, had it from age 15, my pride and joy, then after I was married the mother-in-law gave it to the bin men, I was gutted "

View attachment 120809

Like the old Ever Ready lights Which hand did you use to bash the front light when unexpectedly it went out.

chickendrumsticks

Like the old Ever Ready lights Which hand did you use to bash the front light when unexpectedly it went out.
Ahh! The good old "Never Ready" lights. For the rear one it would be a swift back-heel first and if that failed to work you'd follow up with the precarious "lean down" and slap method which usually sent you across to the other side of the road! The front took a toe-punt, after which a further lean forward and slap which IIRC sent you careering into the kerb or verge! And they talk about to good old days. Now, of course, most people get round the problem by not having lights at all...

chickendrumsticks

Very true
Would that be the bar mounted ones? I remember they rusted rather quickly but had the advantage of allowing a drink (with suitable straws) without taking hands off bars. Thus losing sight of the road ahead momentarily...add this to the Never Ready shenanigans and it's a wonder so many of us old boys survived to reminisce!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks Martin. Nice of you to say so. I have to acknowledge too that the saddle looks great!

I hadn't noticed the saddle in all fairness and yes it looks right in place

Would that be the bar mounted ones? I remember they rusted rather quickly but had the advantage of allowing a drink (with suitable straws) without taking hands off bars. Thus losing sight of the road ahead momentarily...add this to the Never Ready shenanigans and it's a wonder so many of us old boys survived to reminisce!

Yep those are the ones , trouble is this day and age there are so many other things that mount on your bars ie lights , garmin , camera , phone in fact you name it

Somewhere i have a clean old Simplex single holder that i need to find and then mount on my old Pollard

chickendrumsticks

So, now ready for the road. Rides very nicely, light and responsive (weighs in at 25lbs and "look Mum, no hands" is easy). As expected though it is quite a bit too small for me being a frame size of only 20.5". I'm around five nine or ten so I guess it would be perfect for a small gent - or a lady naturally - of smaller stature; say around five two to five six? Any interest out there I wonder? View attachment 406088

Attachments

• rr1.JPG
    rr1.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 66
  • rr2.JPG
    rr2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 70
  • rr3.JPG
    rr3.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 65
  • rr4.JPG
    rr4.JPG