Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had this picture posted on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes Facebook page by Ian Watson and also commented

" My first proper bike, an Eddie Soens from the Boaler Street shop, c/w Mafac centre-pull brakes, had it from age 15, my pride and joy, then after I was married the mother-in-law gave it to the bin men, I was gutted "

ian watson soens.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Had this picture posted on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes Facebook page by Ian Watson and also commented

" My first proper bike, an Eddie Soens from the Boaler Street shop, c/w Mafac centre-pull brakes, had it from age 15, my pride and joy, then after I was married the mother-in-law gave it to the bin men, I was gutted "

View attachment 120809
A like for the nice photo. The rest is a tragedy.:sad:

Bill Soens

Über Member
just been sent this picture of a Soens that has turned up in Holland @Bill Soens would love to hear your comments and @Senior Ryder feel free

View attachment 151582
Just happen to be in front of the PC when this came in. The bike is a Jim Soens - not one of mine. It is a basic bike and could actually be a Holdsworth rebadged, since everything about it says Holdsworth. Nothing wrong with it though. Would have been extremely comfortable to rider and full 531 throughout. Lugs are Prugnat Italian style. 72 deg parallel and about 2.5" fork rake - too big actually - should be no more than 2". Nice to see these things till around.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just happen to be in front of the PC when this came in. The bike is a Jim Soens - not one of mine. It is a basic bike and could actually be a Holdsworth rebadged, since everything about it says Holdsworth. Nothing wrong with it though. Would have been extremely comfortable to rider and full 531 throughout. Lugs are Prugnat Italian style. 72 deg parallel and about 2.5" fork rake - too big actually - should be no more than 2". Nice to see these things till around.

thanks @Bill Soens and your comments are always great to see

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

chickendrumsticks

Hi all, new member here. Been following this fab thread for sometime and now have an opportunity to get myself a Soens bike. From the 70's and frame number is 874 which I believe makes it a Bill Soens build? I understand it originally came from Pete Matthews who of course took over from Jim Soens. Does this compute? Lugs are "smooth and sweeping" as described by Bill in an earlier thread! It was resprayed BITD but originally was a metallic blue. Any background most welcome - what tubes etc etc.

Bill Soens

Über Member
Hi all, new member here. Been following this fab thread for sometime and now have an opportunity to get myself a Soens bike. From the 70's and frame number is 874 which I believe makes it a Bill Soens build? I understand it originally came from Pete Matthews who of course took over from Jim Soens. Does this compute? Lugs are "smooth and sweeping" as described by Bill in an earlier thread! It was resprayed BITD but originally was a metallic blue. Any background most welcome - what tubes etc etc.
Thanks for that information. Yes it was one of the last frames I built, based on the number and it would have been mid to late sixties, not the 70's. I have no records as to who I built for. They went a long time ago. The fact that it was acquired via Pete Matthews shop doesn't mean anything really. Most shops sold secondhand bikes of various makes. It will be 531 tubing - there was nothing else to match that until Columbus and then 753 came out. If it is an "invisible " sloping crown then the forks will be Italian tubing. If a normal crown, then they will be 531 as well. Cheers. Bill Soens.

chickendrumsticks

A couple of pics of this bike at my flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141591263@N05/

I don't (yet) know how to insert this as a hyperlink but just copy and paste to your browser. And thanks Bill for your info. Great to know it is one of yours. I don't own it yet, awaiting OK from seller - fingers crossed.

How should it be badged if I decide to refurbish it (there's some rust here and there)? Hopefully as an Eddie Soens because super transfers are available!

Top Bottom