Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks mate. I am going to give her a good clean up over the weekend and will post some more pictures then. I am assuming that this is about a mid 60's bike based on the components and general look of the thing, but am interested in any other information from those with more knowledge.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks mate. I am going to give her a good clean up over the weekend and will post some more pictures then. I am assuming that this is about a mid 60's bike based on the components and general look of the thing, but am interested in any other information from those with more knowledge.
hopefully @Bill Soens will be along soon my guess would be late 60's early 70's

Here are a few more pictures now that I have given her a clean up and put a decent length stem on.
All the "decals" are hand painted. Chrome a bit ropey but everything else in good condition.

IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Go for your life with the pictures, I have a couple more things to do and will post some more up. The bike is a little small for me but a group of us have what we call "steel wool" rides where you have to wear you old wool tops and ride a steely. Usually a bit of dirt road and general shenanigans. This will be perfect for that.
Initially I was going to repaint it, but its patina is too appealing - I will deal with the chrome as best I can, but keep it original.

Hi folks,

Biggs682 referred me to this forum after I purchased a Bill Soens' bike from him last September and transported it to the west coast of the US. It is frame #777 which has been documented and verified earlier in this forum. As usual for a 50+ year old, it has a few battle scars, but overall it's a great ride. I've only put about 50 miles on it due medical issues and other commitments, but found it to be well matched to my riding style.

Over the years most the original components have been replaced, some with quality upgrades and others just to keep it on the road. As far as I can tell, the only original parts are a very nice Milremo stem and unbranded, narrow bars. It also came with a good set of 700C wheels, Campagnolo Victory/Triompe low flange hubs and Mavic MA2 rims which I will use for the time being. I have a Campy HF rear hub and am bartering for a matching front hub to build some period correct wheels. Over the holidays, I acquired a Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport drive train from the 70s. This is the same group that is on Dean Griffin's red Eddie Soens. The Dia Compe side pulls that were on it have been replace with Weinmann 730 side pulls and Weinmann drilled levers. It also came with a beat up Campagnolo aero seat post which has been replaced by one that is more period correct. The bars have also been replace with a pair of wider GB brand. I'm looking forward to completing the project and getting in some quality road time. I've attached a picture of it as it is currently set up.

By-the-way, is Bill Soens still participating in this forum? There doesn't seem to be any recent postings. I'd like send him a "thank you" for creating such a frame and learn more about his design/build criteria.

Any info or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Van

Attachments

• P1010849A.JPG
    P1010849A.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 109
@Dean Griffin
Hi Dean,

I was checking the forum for responses to my post and notice that your Seons' serial # is 713. It is, most likely, genuine. I have #777 which has been verified by Bill Soens earlier in this thread. Mine is an oddity. It has braze-ons for bar end shifters and no chrome. Also, its had a rough life, but rides great. Over the holidays I acquired a Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport drivetrain like the set up on your bike. These parts have been cleaned up and will be installed soon. It appears to have the original Milremo stem and GB bars. I had to get wider bars and will get those on as well. Then, it's ride and ride some more while I decide what to do about the paint. I'll post pix when the mods are complete. By-the-way, Tony Smith and biggs682 were the previous owners of this bike.

Regards,

Van

Bill Soens

Über Member
To senior ryder who has frame number 713, I am amazed that some of my frames are still being ridden or even in existence. With the number 713 it will be a genuine machine built by me about 1965. It will be about 72 deg head and 72 or 73 seat depending on frame size, Lugs will be Italian in design and make and it will be very comfortable to ride, assuming still in track after fifty years ! It isn't an "oddity". At least half of the riders then were using handlebar gear change, as distinct from down tube levers. Among these were Tommy Simpson and Rik van Looy. Nothing unusual about no chrome. Most bikes didn't have chrome. It cost extra and went rusty after a time.

Frankly if I was to do this up I would have all the brazed on bits replaced for modern gears. Remove the rear brake bridge on the seat stays and widen the back ends to take modern wheels with a ten speed hub and then have a new brake bridge fitted. You can't widen the back ends without replacing the bridge. The seat tube will take a 27.2 mm seat stem and these are still the main sized unit.

To a competent builder all this lot shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most. Certainly I could have done it in a little over an hour in the right workshop.

If all done properly and painted nicely it would make a very satisfactory bike.

@Bill Soens
@biggs682
@Dean Griffin

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. Please check out my new posting "Rejuvenated 60s Soens" which I will post as soon as I get the pictures sorted out. Our crappy weather has prevented riding and photography.

FYI; I have frame #777, Dean Griffin has #713. I've done some minor upgrading and retro fitting, but don't plan to make any drastic changes. I just want to ride it the way it was originally. I have other bikes for more modern rides, plus a Holdsworth of that vintage.

Regards,

Van

Top Bottom