Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chickendrumsticks

Here you go @chickendrumsticks , that looks very nice indeed , what size is it ?

View attachment 380185
20.5" so a wee bit small for me but hey, up with the saddle and give it whirl!

The deal is done and collecting next weekend. Miles and miles and MILES away but worth it. Probably spend more on fuel than the bike cost... hey ho.
I may yet decide to do a gentle refurb especially given it was rattle canned years ago.
Which is why I enquired above about the appropriate transfers. Eddie, not Jim?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
20.5" so a wee bit small for me but hey, up with the saddle and give it whirl!

The deal is done and collecting next weekend. Miles and miles and MILES away but worth it. Probably spend more on fuel than the bike cost... hey ho.
I may yet decide to do a gentle refurb especially given it was rattle canned years ago.
Which is why I enquired above about the appropriate transfers. Eddie, not Jim?

@chickendrumsticks is it the one from the ctc site a couple of weeks ago ?

just enjoy it and then decide re refurb

chickendrumsticks

Hi biggs682 - sure is! The seller seemed to "go to sleep" so I pm'd sympathetically and she responded. The owner did a bit of racing BITD - Manchester Ladies Junior Champ by 18 but was unable to upgrade to sprints and tubs so didn't advance as far as she was, I'm sure, capable.

And, of course, you're right; I should try it and enjoy it first. I believe it will be just right - relaxed geometry but as responsive as a 531 frame should be. More like the ride on my first proper machine, a Viking "Ian Steel Model". My last couple of re-furbs were a tad "road bike", a bit lively and jumpy for a man of my advanced years but great fun to do!

The seller's Dad was Alan Barker - sometime President of the Warrington Road Club. Grandad (Harry) was one of the founder members and the club’s annual 50m TT was The Harry Barker Memorial event. Her Dad was a pretty nifty bike racer in ‘the day’ and he took it up again just after she started racing. He was mentioned many times in the Cycling magazine apparently. I guess this may be of interest to the many now exploring Merseyside cycling? I am fast becoming one of them too, given the history that I knew nowt about. And great thanks to Bill Soens whose contribution is invaluable too.

Thanks biggs682 for your interest in my project - much appreciated - and love your blog! And thanks bazzer for your kind comment.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi biggs682 - sure is! The seller seemed to "go to sleep" so I pm'd sympathetically and she responded. The owner did a bit of racing BITD - Manchester Ladies Junior Champ by 18 but was unable to upgrade to sprints and tubs so didn't advance as far as she was, I'm sure, capable.

And, of course, you're right; I should try it and enjoy it first. I believe it will be just right - relaxed geometry but as responsive as a 531 frame should be. More like the ride on my first proper machine, a Viking "Ian Steel Model". My last couple of re-furbs were a tad "road bike", a bit lively and jumpy for a man of my advanced years but great fun to do!

The seller's Dad was Alan Barker - sometime President of the Warrington Road Club. Grandad (Harry) was one of the founder members and the club’s annual 50m TT was The Harry Barker Memorial event. Her Dad was a pretty nifty bike racer in ‘the day’ and he took it up again just after she started racing. He was mentioned many times in the Cycling magazine apparently. I guess this may be of interest to the many now exploring Merseyside cycling? I am fast becoming one of them too, given the history that I knew nowt about. And great thanks to Bill Soens whose contribution is invaluable too.

Thanks biggs682 for your interest in my project - much appreciated - and love your blog! And thanks bazzer for your kind comment.

once you get your mitts on it we need some proper pics please and feel free to add some on my facebook page In Appreciation of Merseyside Bikes

Some nice history there

chickendrumsticks

Thanks for that information. Yes it was one of the last frames I built, based on the number and it would have been mid to late sixties, not the 70's. I have no records as to who I built for. They went a long time ago. The fact that it was acquired via Pete Matthews shop doesn't mean anything really. Most shops sold secondhand bikes of various makes. It will be 531 tubing - there was nothing else to match that until Columbus and then 753 came out. If it is an "invisible " sloping crown then the forks will be Italian tubing. If a normal crown, then they will be 531 as well. Cheers. Bill Soens.
Good morning all. Spring is (almost) upon us and the urge to start the restoration of my Eddie Soens (frame number 874) is now irresistable. Bill, if you read this, I can confirm that the forks have a normal crown and thus the frame is 531. Now, a further question arises - would it be 531 main tubes only or (more likely I think) "tubes, forks ansd stays"? I ask because I want to order the correct transfers from hlloydcycles. Many thanks for any info.

chickendrumsticks

Probably just the main frame triangle.
I think I've answered my own question - at least Bill did! In an earlier post re this bike he said " If a normal crown, then they will be 531 as well. Cheers. Bill Soens" ANd it is a normal crown.

chickendrumsticks

All components cleaned and serviced. Just awaiting return of frame...

Attachments

• 20180323_155902.jpg
    20180323_155902.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 57

PHL67

Veteran
IMG_3102.JPG
What an interesting read.
Nice to hear about the history behind the brand.
I have attached a picture of a friends Soens road bike.
This was refurbished last year by himself.
This is one of his collection.
I have asked for a serial number etc which he will send me later.
He tells me this is a Jim Soens (Eddies brother).

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 401450 What an interesting read.
Nice to hear about the history behind the brand.
I have attached a picture of a friends Soens road bike.
This was refurbished last year by himself.
This is one of his collection.
I have asked for a serial number etc which he will send me later.
He tells me this is a Jim Soens (Eddies brother).

Thats another nice smallish Soens

PHL67

Veteran
What a terrific job. Looks like original paintwork too? Or a C & G respray perhaps. Here's hoping mine will look as good. Thanks for sharing PHL.
This was painted by my friend who paints all of my bikes.
He loves painting and bringing them back to life.
He does older and newer steel.
He is based near Chelmsford in Essex.
Takes great pride in refurbishing them.

Top Bottom