Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Smith

Uphill/Bill,
I think the business on Rice Lane, was actually Walvale of Walton Vale. If you continue along Rice Lane (A59) towards Aintree Rice Lane changes to Walton Vale, then Warbreck Moor. Walvale had a shop on the right hand side of Walton Vale (next door but one to what is now Wetherspoons). They had many an excellent frame builder through their doors and a Bob Jackson wouldn't have been out of place.
If your still on the look out for a Fothergill PM me and I'll show you some photos

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Herety was enamelled by C&G back in about 1990.

Hi Bill (Soens), thanks for your comments about my nostalgic rumblings. You were right about the 52/12 gear. Now I think about it, the Stronglight chain set was 52/48, and it was the 48 that I rode with the 12 tooth sprocket. It was still hard work but fortunately my school journey was fairly flat - from Knowsley Road in Bootle to Marion Way in Netherton. The joy of having 10 speeds on my Eddie Soens when I finally got it was indescribable. You mentioned me having the dates wrong with regard to Pete Matthews shop. I'm sure you're right. I put the words "I think" before that section because it was the one thing I wasn't entirely sure about. Everything else seems crystal clear to me 50 years later. A later blogger talks about my reference to a shop on Rice Lane. I'm not getting it confused with Walvale. Both Harry Quinn and Walvale had shops on the East side of Walton Vale. The Quinn ship was at the junction where traffic came down from Orrell Park station. Walvale was further along opposite Woolworths or thereabouts. The Rice Lane shop that I was referring to was close to Spellow Lane library - on the same side of the road. I remember seeing Bob Jackson frames in the window on the way walking to Goodison Park for a place in the Boys' Pen. If nobody else remembers that shop I probably dreamt it!! Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. By the way, I did a bit of digging on Google and found a place where you can download a pdf version of the Bike Riders Aids catalogue - it makes for fascinating reading. I can remember most of the pictures in the 1964-5 version. You can find it at threespeedhub.com

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bill,

Many thanks for taking the time to contribute here: fascinating reading.

I don't suppose you could tell me anything of Ian May?

All I know, is that he died quite young and had a reputation as an "experimental" frame builder.

Kind regards,

Jim.
@Scilly Suffolk you have just answered a question for me on this old post .

i bought an Ian May bike not long ago and have been trying to get hold of him to find out what frame material was used . @Tony Smith

Sterba

Über Member
Bill, you have made a wonderful contribution to the history of British frame making. One day soon , these old hand-built steel bikes are going to be revered as a pinnacle of British engineering, alongside Norton, Aston Martin, Bentley and Lotus. Your reminiscences are invaluable, keep sharing them on Cyclechat whenever you can. They are fascinating because they will otherwise go unrecorded. Thank you.

Tony Smith

Yes,, Jim is correct. Ian May died aged only 37. I was told that he still traded in shotblasting and wrought iron on the Wirral , but wrong guy.

I agree with Sterba, the history of hand made cycles is important to document, we've lost such a lot of possible documentation but those princes amongst men, the like of Bill Soens, remain thankfully to educate us enthusiasts young and old

Owd Fella

Bill Soens,
I still have in my garage, a 1959/69 EDDIE SOENS TT BIKE, originally in orange, but changed to white,orange lustre & chrome because the gear hanger broke off, in1961. Will have to dig out and find the frame number
Paddy, if you read this, I remember you parking that bike outside the coffee bar in King St. You wanted it in White but Eddie only let 'fast men' (like Charly McCoy) have White bikes - or so you said.

Are you sure you've got the dates right? I thought it was later than that ('61?).

michael heaton

Hi Bill,
It's many, many years since we last met. Fortunately the tinnitus has now faded away after your cuffs around the head administered in the workshop at Boaler St - no doubt I deserved them for being cheeky!

It was fifty years ago today (excuse the Beatles reprise) that the last Melling Wheelers Annual Dinner took place before the club metamorphosed into Kirkby CC.

After the death of Ken Mathews, Stan Birkett rescued a lot of the Melling/Kirkby cine film and had it digitised. He has put on YouTube the film of that evening. You, Eddie, Mima all appear along with many 'notables' including a very young looking Doug Dailey and a glimpse of an equally young looking James Soens. Stan has promised that after Xmas he will post more Kirkby memories on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWwDkYSorvg

I have lived in Thailand for the last ten years, 2kms from The Bridge over the River Kwai. Still riding my MtB regularly and was racing mainly off-road up until recently. Over the years have covered around 50,000 kms of tracks and trails in Thailand, often sleeping in Temples or schools on longer rides.

I'm still in touch with Keith (Loony), Ernie, Geoff Magnay (Gallopin Hairpin), Doug, etc. and ride with them when back in the U.K.

If you contact me on Facebook or at mcheaton@hotmail.com. I will send you some recent pics of the 'lads'.

I hope you are keeping well.

Warm regards, Michael Heaton - thag

Owd Fella

Hi Mike, I think I remember you riding road races on Merseyside and North Wales? I was in Wrexham RC and recollect all the guys in the film - 'Scobie' Beesley, Ernie Potter, a very young looking Keith Boardman way before Chris was even a twinkle. Billy Whiteside had a huge accident at Onchan track in 1967 right in front of me when he broadsided someone (was it Ernie??), I had to take to the infield to avoid them. Great piece of film, it should be used as a piece of social history looking at all the ladies fashions (and some of the mens'!).

Please let us know when the rest of the films are posted!

Bill Soens

Über Member
Hello each. Nice to hear from Mike Heaton - living in Thailand ! It is some months since I accessed this site. Normally when someone posts some form of reply/blog/whatever I receive an email advising me and I am able to respond. This hasn't happened recently.

Now in my twilight years I am a member of U3A and they started up a local Facebook page which I joined under my own name "William Soens". I have been contacted by people I knew in Caesar's time and I have recently seen the video indicated above regarding the Melling Wlrs club dinner 1963. I shall transfer it to DVD and view it on the big screen, although this may not be a good thing looking at me now !

A couple of weeks ago I did a filmed interview for the local university regarding cycling from the end of the war until about 1970. Whilst for use by the university if anything comes to the public domain I shall let anyone know who might be interested - since it's me, probably no-one ! Bill

raindog

er.....
A couple of weeks ago I did a filmed interview for the local university regarding cycling from the end of the war until about 1970. Whilst for use by the university if anything comes to the public domain I shall let anyone know who might be interested - since it's me, probably no-one ! Bill
it would be good if that could be put up on youtube

Bill Soens

Über Member
Don't know of the legal or copyright situation. At 2 hours it would be far too long for YouTube. Will see what happens.

Top Bottom