Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Don't know of the legal or copyright situation. At 2 hours it would be far too long for YouTube. Will see what happens.

@Bill Soens

There's one here on Ebay, that might interest you, Bill. I'd imagine, it's a pretty rare beast.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fixie-Tan...rbished-/271346907197?clk_rvr_id=562489684556

Just spotted another, (older) tandem for sale; it's not too far from me :smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-t...d-gears-/231115779981?clk_rvr_id=562494952334

^^^ Make an interesting project, but I've too much on the go, at the moment.

Bill Soens

Über Member
Thanks for that. Someone else had alerted me to the Soens tandem. It is a Jim Soens.

OldCanal

Thanks for that. Someone else had alerted me to the Soens tandem. It is a Jim Soens.
Hello Bill, I've just posted my first 'intro' on the Welcome Mat thread. In it, I mention that I purchased my first hand built frame from your uncle, Jim Soens, in 1958. It took 2 years of paper rounds and Saturday jobs (at the Co-Op in London Road) and I was so proud when I handed over my £13.15.0 in old money. I'll post a pic of me and my pride and joy after I clear the forum 'induction process'. It's good to read your comments about times gone by.

DonSchwann

Newly listed Jim Soens on eBay if anyone's interested! I would be, but don't have the funds at the moment… :sad:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Soens

Über Member
This is very interesting. The frame number 777 looks like one of mine (Eddie Soens/SoenSport) but obviously after more than 50 years one cannot be sure. Jim Soens cycles would normally have had a different number than that, using letters as well as numbers, since he had been in business since 1934 0r 36. It was not unusual for bike owners and/or dealers to have frames re-sprayed with a different name - in particular with an almost identical name - Jim Soens was my father's brother. Either way, it is of no importance. It is a classic built bike from roughly 1960-63, with Reynolds 531 and Prugnat lugs. Looks about 72 deg parallel and would be extremely comfortable to ride. Well done in acquiring it. Bill Soens.

Tony Smith

Bill,
Thank you. I will be stripping for service, should I expect to see any other markings evident., on the steerer for example (ala Harry Quinn) or anywhere else ?. Its certainly a comfortable machine and should serve me well as a winter bike along these muddy lanes.... (how many 'winter bikes' is that I have now.......)
Tony Smith

Bill Soens

Über Member
Hi. No, there will be no other marks. If there is one on the fork column then that pair of forks will not be the originals. From the photo, they look to be correct.

Bill Soens.

Tony Smith

Thank you Bill. Its a privilege to have you here to put us right.
One last question if I may., If I refurb the frame what are the correct decals for it ? Is it the stylised 'S' for the headtube and Eddie Soens/Soensport for the down/seat tube ?
Tony

Bill Soens

Über Member
There are no Eddie Soens or SoenSport decals available to the best of my knowledge. I would simply carry on with the Jim Soens decals, if it was me. Cheers. Bill Soens.

Tony Smith

He's some kinda fella that Eddie Soens chap. He can look at a photo and give you the parallel degree of the frame (which was just about spot on by the way and that wasn't the norm until the end of the 60's). Anyone would think he'd built the things or something .

Tony Smith

I've seen that one (needs a fair bit doing by the looks of it and it hasn't got the original forks) and also the Wally Watkins Tandem, have you seen that ?. Wally made track frames on County Road (about a mile from Harry Quinn and they used to share their talents I believe), so the tandem is a rare one. I haven't a clue on what to do with a tandem so I've avoided that despite it being pretty unique. I'm not too sure that 'she who must be obeyed' would welcome a tandem in the kitchen whilst I'm spending hours lug lining it on the kitchen table anyway :-)

Top Bottom