Soensport or Soens Brothers Name Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob Elliott

Regular
I agree with that! I have a particular interest in Soens, and given the contributions above from Mr Bill about the 800 or so frames he built, I would love to know where they are now. I think I have one, and I have seen one a couple of months ago hanging on the wall in C+G Finishes in Liverpool, but have never seen any others. I am obviously going to the wrong places...

Rob Elliott (newbie)

Sharky

Guru
What memories! I had a Bates frame done at C&G finishes in about 1965. Done in polychromatic copper with chrome ends. Looked really nice and is the one I am riding in the picture on the left.

The reference to riders named "Ward" and the IOM. Well I am a Ward and once rode the IOM. Best week ever, but only rode the one lapper, which in 69 was won by Willie Moore and I didn't hit anybody!

And Twiddles. Bill's son Dave was a club mate in the Prescot RC and always had a very shiny bike. Made me a bit envious.

And references to some of the other great names. I have an old cutting somewhere, showing the result of a 25 just before the war, with Eddie Soens, Ken Mathews, Larry Ross and my dad Vic all listed. I'll try and find it and post it.

And the bike shop in Prescot run by Sid Bloors. A really old bike shop and Sid was an old Prescot RC member as well. No longer with us, but a nice character.

I sold my Bates and bought an RJ Quin. Also a good bike.

Cheers Keith

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Found this in my Dad's old scrap book

image.jpg

Some good old names listed. Do we have any relatives on the forum?

- my dad Vic Ward, his fastest pre war ride. He was called up after this. Aged 20. Probably done on 86 fixed.
- Eddie Soens the subject of this thread.
- Alan Barker from the Warrington and a friend of my dads. Many years later (1968) Alan offered me a lift home after a 25 on the O2 course. I'd ridden out the previous day and stayed at the YHA. But I turned him down and rode home again!

- it was Alan's dad, Harry Barker that started the Warrington and my dad went onto start the Prescot RC after the war. Now called Prescot Eagle after merging with the Liverpool Eagle.

Cheers Keith

Rob Elliott

Regular
As promised, here are some photos and history of my “Eddie Soens”. I have had it since 1972, having bought it second hand for £40 from Mr Bill Twiddle’s shop on Lawrence Road, Liverpool. I lived in Underley Street until 1971, about half a mile away, and remember him and his shop fondly. I think it’s a beautiful and elegant frame.

Note the wonderful decal on the head and down tubes. I am trying to source copies of this without success so far. www.hlloydcycles.com tell me they have an original and can recreate it, but they want to charge me over £70 for 2 including the set up costs. The name ”J Dorian” is sign-written on the left side of the top tube. I have failed to discover who this was – maybe a Liverpool club cyclist in the Sefton Park or Edge Hill area - Merseyside Wheelers perhaps? The original equipment (or rather, as I bought it) was as follows:

A badly worn Zeus Chainset and rings; Campagnolo Record gears and shifters (still working perfectly after all these years); an unnamed cassette; Fiamme sprint rims on FF Atom hubs, with Wolber Junior tyres; a Wienmann stem; no-name handlebars, heastock bearings and seat pin; an Evian seat bolt; a Brooks Professional saddle; and Universal Model 51 brakes with Wienmann levers.

After several years of neglect, in about 1990 I replaced the wheels with Mavic MA2 rims on Shimano 105 hubs, with a 105 chainset, cassette and headstock bearings. The original Campagnolo pulleys were also replaced with Shimano. I also replaced the saddle - an enormous mistake. Huge. I have regretted that since.

I have no idea when it was made, but if it is a proper Eddie Soens, given the frame number 331, I suspect it could be pre-1960. Any advice on what it is made of would be appreciated - is it likely to be 531? Also, what should be the diameter of the seat tube? The photo shows deformation in the lugs and the bolt is bent, so does that suggest the seat pin is slightly under size?

Its obviously time for another full renovation. If I can source the decals (and I want to use the same, rather than any other), I will have the paintwork done exactly as it is now. I have spoken to C&G Finishes in Liverpool and they will do the job for me - they almost certainly did the original. The name on the down tube is beautifully sign-written - a lost art, I think.

I hope all this is of interest. Its turned into a bit of an essay, but I thought I would try and get it all down in one place.

ES1.jpg
ES3.jpg

ES2.jpg
ES6.jpg

ES5.jpg
ES7.jpg
ES8.jpg
ES9.jpg
ES18.jpg
ES17.jpg

DonSchwann

Beautiful looking frame, that!

I think, from what others have said, that it's impossible to buy Soens decals 'off the peg', so you'd have to have them made up.

The deformation at the very top of the seat tube is a classic sign of an undersize seat post. My LBS 'fitted' a new one to my Ian May (the original was beautiful, but too short) and now my bike has the same deformation - and I'm back to the original seat post. Mine was obviously wrong, though. After about 50 miles, the thing started squeaking whenever I sat down, so I removed it straight away.

If it was mine, I think I'd live with the original paint - maybe top coat it to protect what's left and let your Soens' history shine!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Rob Elliott why are you considering having that refinished !!!

you will loose all its originality in one fell swoop

got to admit it a great looker and if its anything like mine bloody great to ride as well

how heavy is it ?

hope you use it more regular than I use my 2 Ian Mays

Rob Elliott

Regular
Thanks for that, and yours DonSchwann.

It weighs in at 10.8kg., and is a wonderful ride. I probably ride it less than you might think, and certainly a lot less than I should.

The photos may not show the damage of the years clearly, but there are some unsightly dents in the seat and down tubes, and a lot of poor touching up has been done in the past by me, to cover chips.

I will reconsider the plan though! I'll strip it down and give it a thorough clean first, rather than go for something drastic straightaway. Of course, if new decals are going to cost me more than 2s 6d, it will be staying as it is anyway!

Rob.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
weighs about the same as mine , must admit i have covered aprox 100 miles since i got it a few weeks ago and really feel at home on it as my daily commuter .
it should be going into have some retro campag bar end shifters fitted along with a nice double crankset which will make it even more useable .

and dont worry pics will follow

Top Bottom