Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
We got in early on when the feed in tariff was very generous. Now, ten years on, I reckon we’ve had our investment back plus about £5k. Nowadays you would only get about 5p per unit export tariff.
Export rates vary according to supplier. While most are only around 5p per kWh (or less - British Gas are only 3.5p/kWh), some are more, and the Octopus Agile tariff can even pay more than the Agile import tariff charges (which is capped at 35p/kWh and has been that almost constantly for the last couple of months).

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-outgoing-export-southern-england/

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Think with todays announcement I may have to give serious consideration into panels now. Need to do something to reduce energy costs . Where do folk go ? Think Sco Gov have links. Not sure if grants available as well but 0% vat is a start

@MrGrumpy, wait until the bit about the removal of red tape is detailed, it may mean that the 60% rule no longer applies and you could say refurb your roof, add better insulation and fit pvc soffits etc and it would all be 0% and not split at 5%/20% or charged at 20% if materials are over 60% of cost.

irw

Quadricyclist
Following with interest as our new-build house we move into in July comes with Solar as std. No idea on power rating tho'
Why there is not a law for all new houses to have solar, I simply can't fathom...
Wouldn’t everyone’s roof need to slope the same way?! This is the most annoying thing about our house- we’ve got slopes that face every way except South!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Wouldn’t everyone’s roof need to slope the same way?! This is the most annoying thing about our house- we’ve got slopes that face every way except South!
Am certain it could be factored-in at the design stage!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Our neighbours have PV panels on both the East and West sides of his roof and say that it works well - misses the absolute peak but generates energy for 12 hours a day much of the year.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My current house is ideal , south facing and south west facing roof aspects . Should be able to get a fairly large array on there. May get someone in to give me an idea on costs/payback . Currently energy pricing is going to be huge for me . It’s nearly going to double compared to my mortgage !

geocycle

Legendary Member
It depends. We had eon give an estimate for 18 panels on our optimal sw facing roof. As we don’t use much electric ourselves it would have been over 20 years to recoup the cost. Of course higher prices and the prospect of an electric vehicle will shift the balance a bit. The feed in tariff quoted was 5p while the charge was 16.5p per kw. I was told that battery storage helps spread the load and we costed one in. However, without additional circuitry they wouldn’t help in a power cut. The other local issue is our exposure to strong westerlies which I could imagine causing damage or playing tunes on the panels. Overall, I was not convinced despite wanting to make it work.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ten years ago or so, it was a good way of harvesting generous Government subsidies but a not so good way of generating electricity. It's the same situation today.......but the subsidies are crap.

Gillstay

Über Member
Ten years ago or so, it was a good way of harvesting generous Government subsidies but a not so good way of generating electricity. It's the same situation today.......but the subsidies are crap.
I have just taken off a solar i Boost which took power off our panels and gave us free hot water. The kit cost £300 and the saving in the first year was £150. So its generating just fine. Also it saves the boiler as it doesn't need to kick in all summer. Putin can stick his oil.

Daninplymouth

Panel efficiency has increased a lot over the years so you no longer have to be direct to the sun. Think it may even be better not being on a south facing as you can generate power over a longer part of the day although not as much at peak

Top Bottom