Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Costco doing 16 panels plus 5kw storage for £12k installed ? I may get a quote from a couple of installers to see what they would charge. Savings in first year alone according to rough calculations on website is between £760 and £1500 .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My electricity provider offers packages from c.£6k. A system with battery storage so you can use your "free" electric at night adds about another £2k. However even with the feed in tariff their proposition will take 12-15 years to pay for itself with average use including selling the excess generated back to the grid.

That said, with prices as they are, I'm thinking about it

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Likewise, however I’m going to have to find out what the large users of power are and see what I can do as currently with nobody at home we are away on holiday I appear to be using approx 7kWh a day:ohmy:

Alex321

Veteran
Costco doing 16 panels plus 5kw storage for £12k installed ? I may get a quote from a couple of installers to see what they would charge. Savings in first year alone according to rough calculations on website is between £760 and £1500 .

Our came to a total of 20K installed, but that is for a much bigger system - 10.4Kw, with 16Kwh battery.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Likewise, however I’m going to have to find out what the large users of power are and see what I can do as currently with nobody at home we are away on holiday I appear to be using approx 7kWh a day:ohmy:

I only 6kwh a day and i wfh……lol

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Yes hence my other post on energy price and usage. I’ll need to suss out what’s using the most . We do live in a large 5 bed , with 4 adults and a child.
Clearly though something is costing me when we are not there .

jowwy

Yes hence my other post on energy price and usage. I’ll need to suss out what’s using the most . We do live in a large 5 bed , with 4 adults and a child.
Clearly though something is costing me when we are not there .

How many fridges/freezers you got plugged in and what about thinsg on standby…..7kwh is a lot when your not there

hottub???

Mine's even lower than that, but I manage to save a few bob by plugging in to nextdoor's garden sockets when they go away. :okay:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Our came to a total of 20K installed, but that is for a much bigger system - 10.4Kw, with 16Kwh
How many fridges/freezers you got plugged in and what about thinsg on standby…..7kwh is a lot when your not there

hottub???

Hot tubs away not been plugged in this year . Two fridges and two freezers. Going to look at those as one of each are very old . Unfortunately need them all. So might need to buy efficient ones.

jowwy

Mine's even lower than that, but I manage to save a few bob by plugging in to nextdoor's garden sockets when they go away. :okay:

Tbh i cook mostly outside on a gas grill and pizza oven and my home office runs on a solar generator and 125watt panel……so i do save on electric that way. Even when i garden i use a manual rotary mower and strimmer uses batteries which i again charge off the other solar panel.

i mean even today ive been sat outside with the mrs, watching the tv using solar power….so no tv or sky etc etc running in the house off the grid.

jowwy

ive just checked my usage now as im back in the home office today after being on leave........ive used 94 units of electric over the past 17 days at an average of 5.5kwh per day.

so i would say at @MrGrumpy you need to take a look at your appliances and try and find out how much they are using and whats on standby when your not around.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Standby stuff I’ll see what I can identify. However being a busy household normally , washing machines run at least once a day. I’m guessing appliances such as fridges and freezers draw a lot in comparison. Especially if old.
I’ll order that energy monitor though for when I get back from my holidays and start Checking . Never paid much attention till now !! Cash does focus the mind lol .

jowwy

its the 7kwh your using when not there that would focus my mind......our neighbours came back from a weeks hols last week and took a reading before and after returning, they average 5.5kwh a day, but they got the hot tub running all the time, even when not there, to keep it upto temperature

Top Bottom