Solar Production Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Its a good solar day.......just gone 12 and already produced 4kw, so done a load of washing and cooked lasagne for tonights tea

Can I ask a serious question. Do you truly believe this level of capital investment which takes 12 years to break even makes financial sense?

For the life of me I can't see how the capital expenditure solar users make justifies the return. Investing for ethical reasons, yes, for financial reasons it makes no sense to me.

What would you be investing in otherwise ? I think my figures are about 11 years based on prices today - but it could be quicker if prices rise.
I'll also be able to keep the lights on in the home if we have powercuts.
And the savings on fuel running an EV are hundreds each month compared to the petrol car we used to run.

Hebe

getting better all the time
We ran our battery dry in the early hours of this morning. Sun came out about 11 though and the house and now washing machine are running off the solar plus battery, and the battery is back up to 99%.

Cost wise, it was a slight leap of faith for us but we’re heavy users and when we added an electric car to the mix, along with utility prices rocketing, solar plus battery started to look a lot more appropriate for us. The missing piece in the jigsaw will be switching to a time of use tariff so that we can top up the battery from the grid overnight at a cheaper tariff. I need to do some maths though to see if it’s worth taking the hit on moving away from our current relatively cheap two year fix before it finishes next winter.

Hebe

I'll also be able to keep the lights on in the home if we have powercuts.
It’s worth checking this - we can’t at present with our solaredge system but apparently the functionality will be added within a few months. AsI understand it, if our mains power goes down so does our solar and also the supply to the house from the battery. It might not be the same across all suppliers/countries though.

Alex321

Veteran
It’s worth checking this - we can’t at present with our solaredge system but apparently the functionality will be added within a few months. AsI understand it, if our mains power goes down so does our solar and also the supply to the house from the battery. It might not be the same across all suppliers/countries though.

It is most of them, unless you specifically request one that can provide power-cut backup.

It needs a hybrid inverter to do that, but also needs other bits. Ours is the non-backup types, which I didn't initially realise.

It is most of them, unless you specifically request one that can provide power-cut backup.

It needs a hybrid inverter to do that, but also needs other bits. Ours is the non-backup types, which I didn't initially realise.

Blimey this is more complicated than I thought.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ours should be the changeover type but currently isn't this is one of the things that I was advised it would do, but doesn't. From what I've picked up the Inverters are Grid Tied, which means they need to see 240V from the grid to operate, once that goes they shut down. Some have EMPS (I think) which means they have a circuit onto which you can add a couple of sockets that in the event of a power cut will keep working, to plug an extension lead in, not so good if it's in the loft or halfway up a wall outside, although they could be hard wired elsewhere.

However the other option is a physical switch either manual or automatic that if the grid drops, it isolates the grid & the PV & battery keep providing power to the house, although at a 3kWh Max, so you would likely to have to go around switching a few things off. You also need another dedicated Earth as you cannot use the Grid earth at this point for safety reasons, if a digger cut the cable in half up the street you may have no Earth so no protection in the house. Otherwise if you do not isolate the grid your battery is going to be sucked dry by all your neighbours, you are also putting out 240V into the network which is a safety hazard for anyone working on the cables, they would not expect power to be coming in that direction.

I have come across https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403459960930 which I think might be a solution, any circuits on the unit would stay live, but I'm not 100% sure it will be an option if ever my installer actually gets back to me, I called around there yesterday the whole place was shut up, I rang today to get an answering machine, I did get to Whatsapp one of the installers who said they were all out on site & the secretary wasn't in this week, which as it's half term sounds plausible, which could also be why I haven't been getting any response to emails.

Okay Caveat time, I'm confident what I have put above is correct, but it may not be, so do your own research

This article explains it well I think. It's not going to be safe to work on the grid and get it back up again if there's batteries powering it. I'd not thought of that.

https://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-back-batteries-power-cuts#/

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Can I ask a serious question. Do you truly believe this level of capital investment which takes 12 years to break even makes financial sense?

For the life of me I can't see how the capital expenditure solar users make justifies the return. Investing for ethical reasons, yes, for financial reasons it makes no sense to me.

It’s a question I’ve been asking myself Indeed but my proposed install is supposed to save me £1500 a year in leccy costs .
How ever as someone else said , do you think about the payback on a new boiler or similar ? Currently being above average in usage without even an EV, it makes some sense and I’m not planning on moving either.

D

Deleted member 26715

It’s a question I’ve been asking myself Indeed but my proposed install is supposed to save me £1500 a year in leccy costs .
How ever as someone else said , do you think about the payback on a new boiler or similar ? Currently being above average in usage without even an EV, it makes some sense and I’m not planning on moving either.
When did you last put a new kitchen or bathroom in, what was the payback time on those?

D

Deleted member 26715

We got up to 10.4kWh but didn't get the battery above 80%, already down to 76%

Hebe

Today’s numbers. We’re running on the battery now.

0D175767-68AD-44CA-9513-BB1602C5EA24.jpeg

Top Bottom