Solarstorm x2 lights - working voltage range?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sham69

Über Member
Yet another cycle light question I'm afraid...

Can anyone please tell me if the popular Solarstorm x2 lamp (either XM-L T6 U2 or newer L2's) can accept a 14v input? I ask because I want to use my trusty old sealed lead acid battery pack with it (13.8V max). Adverts for this light only seem to mention 7.2v to 8.4v compatibility yet the adverts also sometimes state "Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent." Not helpful.

Most XML type lights are designed around an 8.4V battery, the lighthead monitor the voltage levels until the battery protection circuit cuts in. Unfortunately the X2 is so popular that it is being made all over China, if you place an order for two systems you would likely get two different driver circuit boards installed inside the lighthead. So really not possible to say if any particular driver board will accept the higher voltage safely, I would guess the answer is not.
If you are handy with a soldering iron and screwdiver you can easily make up your own Li-on battery packs fairly cheaply

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
Thanks for your reply tincaman. Yes, having purchased a few electronic items from China in the past, I agree with your comments about variable specs. I had hoped that if I stuck with a brand name product, like SolarStorm x2, there would be some product consistency - but who knows?

I currently use an old modified Magicshine light (based on one SCC P7 LED if I remember correctly) - I removed the original LED driver cicuit board and soldered in a new one that accepts higher voltages (up to 14v) so I'm using a 12v Sealed Lead Acid battery pack with the Magicshine at present and it works fine, but LED technology moves fast and I'm getting power hungry hence this enquiry.

Having had too many poor experiences with Lithium based batteries in the past, I'm sticking to SLA as I know from years of experience, they are predictable, reliable, barely suffer performance tail-off with age and, IME, last about three times as long as any Lithium battery I've ever had the misfortune to use (famous last words!). When long-life and capacity is taken into account, SLA work out cheaper too. And their weight isn't an issue for me.

Aside from a few LED based lights designed for motorcycles (single mode, no on/off switch) I've only managed to find this LusteFire one that accepts a 12v input so will probably go for it even though a bit pricier than SolarStorm x2 (still cheap as chips really):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lust...4-Mode-2400-Lumens-Bike-Light/1233437539.html

Top Bottom