solarstorm x2 lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1780

Anyone have experience with these lights? For the price they do claim an awful lot but they look ok. The lumens figure seems a bit high! The battery is probably where they saved money here. If they were half decent I'd chance them. In general I think bicycle lights suitable for dark unlit roads are a rip off.
I can only find these lights on ebay which may not be a great indication. Solarstorm x2

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the "T6 lights" thread out in Accessories sub forum. A few of us have these. Good lights and kick out, realistically something like 1200-1400 lumen (T6 and U2's put out somewhere between 600-700 each in real money). They are OK on road if you run on low. I've got myself a good collection of lights now for me and my lad for off road MTB'ing.

The batteries aren't great, but will work fine until you want to upgrade to something better (see thread in Accessories). I ordered the light head only for £13 from ebay - a Chinese seller, but it arrived fast as there are restrictions on these batteries. You can also order from Lightmalls or DX.com

Phil485

I like mine.
Work well on the road and I currently run them for about 1.5 hours each day on my commute.
I don't tend to use the max setting but mostly on the mid setting which is good for being able to see as wellys being seen.

GJT

Über Member
I like mine.
Work well on the road and I currently run them for about 1.5 hours each day on my commute.
I don't tend to use the max setting but mostly on the mid setting which is good for being able to see as wellys being seen.
Do you charge every day then? I use mine for about half an hour per day on the lowest setting, but the charge light drops to one green light after 3 days (sometimes 2 )
Do you disconnect every night so the green lights go out? I leave mine connected and wondered how much this drains the battery.

A great light though- glad I bought one

OP
OP
J1780

J1780

Went for an x2. Seems like more than enough for me. Should receive it soon. Notice new x3 but for the road it may be to much for motorists coming against me. There were none with UK plug Top and I couldn't be bothered changing it when I get it. For the price I paid I won't mind up grading in time for next autumn. The x2 won't go to waste.

Phil485

I charge it every day, but I still have one or two lights left on. Its a 12 mile commute in the dark and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think I could probably squeeze 2 days out of it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Went for an x2. Seems like more than enough for me. Should receive it soon. Notice new x3 but for the road it may be to much for motorists coming against me. There were none with UK plug Top and I couldn't be bothered changing it when I get it. For the price I paid I won't mind up grading in time for next autumn. The x2 won't go to waste.
Received wisdom suggests the battery packs won't get to full power on all three LEDs, so the X2 is the better bet.
Do you charge every day then? I use mine for about half an hour per day on the lowest setting, but the charge light drops to one green light after 3 days (sometimes 2 )
Do you disconnect every night so the green lights go out? I leave mine connected and wondered how much this drains the battery.

A great light though- glad I bought one
Keep it topped up.... the batteries don't do well if allowed to drain completely. The LEDs do discharge the battery, so disconnect it if you are going to leave it for any considerable period.

GJT

Über Member
Thanks Cubist and Phil485.

Only got 90mins on low before green light went down to one today. I'm now tempted to get a better battery pack that fossyant mentioned on the T6 thread.
Around £30 I think

You aren't actually discharging the battery pack down to zero , only reducing the voltage to a level (starting at about 8.2v down to about 7.4v) where the protection circuit cuts in, thats why they suddenly turn off at that point. This is to protect the battery pack from low voltages which can physically damage it.
It is safe to recharge at any point, although discharging until the protection cuts in will leave you with no lights at all. They won't come back on until the circuit has been reset, the charger does this for you.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have just received one of these lights today. Not had chance to give them a good test yet but they are ridiculously bright. I took a risk based on reviews and cost as they are for commuting and the odd night ride.

They are a lot smaller than I thought they would be (see below) and the light output is intense on high.

I bought it from a UK seller to save sending back to China if there are any issues.

Size for comparison

20131223_110643_zpse668def2.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

What battery pack do you intend to use with them, I'm getting very confused about what to buy.

Alan...

Jody

Stubborn git
What battery pack do you intend to use with them, I'm getting very confused about what to buy.

Alan...

I am going to use the standard Chinese battery pack that came with this until I know the life and reliability. Then maybe an upgraded pack as others have suggested.

Top Bottom