Sold a car, have I been tricked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry, I thought you were from Yorkshire.

Middlesex, now Lincolnshire.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Write a letter then the DVLA, inform them you're no longer the keeper. Explain you made an oversight in error. Send the letter today.
Written, will be at the post office for opening!

The reason this has upset me a little isn't anything much about the transaction, but that I know I would slap my head and give my Dad a condescending chat about his awareness of scams.

And I am having that chat with myself.

And it's not very nice.

And I am nicer to him than myself... so that's fun.

Feel a bit better now it's sealed in an envelope.

I'll visit him this weekend I think.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
A few years ago I sold an old classic car to a guy in Yorkshire. He sent a young lad down with a flat bed truck to collect it. I had a real lump in my throat watching it go. Anyway before hand I had prepared a sold as seen letter for the buyer to sign with price. I copied the V5 before as well. I insisted the relevant sections were completed then gave the lad the V5 and I retained the seller's slip which i sent to DVLA. Two weeks later I got a letter informing me I was no longer the keeper. I still wish I hadn't sold it.

Salar

A fish out of water
Here's a little story about something similar which happened to me way back in the mid 90's.

I needed a car for a couple of months to tide me over until I started a new job, I acquired my fathers Volvo 340 a horrible grey Eurobox.
But it was transport and did the job.

Anyway once in the new job I traded in the Volvo for another car.

A few months later, sitting watching something boring on the TV on a Sunday night, the phone rings.

Good evening Sir, this is Norfolk Constabulary. Err Yes? Wondering what I've done 300 miles away.

Are you the owner of a grey Volvo 340 reg ...., No, I traded it in, what's the problem.

Well Sir, it has been used to ram raid a chemist for drugs in Norfolk.

Seems the V5 wasn't filled in or sent, still not sure how it ended up 300 miles away though.

Cheap solid car, probably bought at auction and used to ram raid.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Here's a little story about something similar which happened to me way back in the mid 90's.

I needed a car for a couple of months to tide me over until I started a new job, I acquired my fathers Volvo 340 a horrible grey Eurobox.
But it was transport and did the job.

Anyway once in the new job I traded in the Volvo for another car.

A few months later, sitting watching something boring on the TV on a Sunday night, the phone rings.

Good evening Sir, this is Norfolk Constabulary. Err Yes? Wondering what I've done 300 miles away.

Are you the owner of a grey Volvo 340 reg ...., No, I traded it in, what's the problem.

Well Sir, it has been used to ram raid a chemist for drugs in Norfolk.

Seems the V5 wasn't filled in or sent, still not sure how it ended up 300 miles away though.

Cheap solid car, probably bought at auction and used to ram raid.
If it was taken as a trade-in it would have probably gone for auction.

D

Deleted member 1258

I didn't realise the effects of the 1974 local government reforms were quite so widespread.

We, Coventry, got moved from Warwickshire to the West Midlands. As others have said write to the DVLA and inform them the vehicle has been sold.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you tried to contact the customer back via Gumtree?

Top Bottom