Sold a car, have I been tricked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think that only happens if you stay too long.

I can feel a song coming on

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Have you phoned dvla?
DVLA are in now way concerned, so neither am I. They are happy I sent a letter, it's not my problem, if anything happens give them a call.

That's not the bureaucracy i anticipated. Happy customer.

This. It's not an unprecedented scenario, I'm sure. It'll get sorted.
Like you said... Thank you all. I was going loco.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was in a similar situation some years ago. We were selling my wife's old car via the noticeboard in the local Asda and she left all the admin to me. Having never owned a car myself, I had no idea what was required in the way of paperwork. A chap called round and paid cash for it. Didn't even occur to me to ask for evidence of his identity.

A month later, we got a letter from the DVLA regarding an unpaid parking fine. I called and told them we'd sold the car and that was the last we heard of it.

I was working for Which? at the time and we were in the process of producing a series of mini self-help books (along the same lines as those 60p Penguin books). On the back of that experience, I put forward the idea that one of them should be a guide to buying and selling a car and the suggestion was taken up. It proved to be very popular!

AIUI, the legal position is that you as the seller are obliged to fill in and return the V5, and it's your responsibility to check the identity of the person you are selling to. DVLA didn't seem too concerned pre-2001 but I am slightly surprised to hear they're not stricter about it these days, with the current climate of fear about terrorism and the type of crimes vehicles can be used for.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I was in a similar situation some years ago. We were selling my wife's old car via the noticeboard in the local Asda and she left all the admin to me. Having never owned a car myself, I had no idea what was required in the way of paperwork. A chap called round and paid cash for it. Didn't even occur to me to ask for evidence of his identity.

A month later, we got a letter from the DVLA regarding an unpaid parking fine. I called and told them we'd sold the car and that was the last we heard of it.

I was working for Which? at the time and we were in the process of producing a series of mini self-help books (along the same lines as those 60p Penguin books). On the back of that experience, I put forward the idea that one of them should be a guide to buying and selling a car and the suggestion was taken up. It proved to be very popular!

AIUI, the legal position is that you as the seller are obliged to fill in and return the V5, and it's your responsibility to check the identity of the person you are selling to. DVLA didn't seem too concerned pre-2001 but I am slightly surprised to hear they're not stricter about it these days, with the current climate of fear about terrorism and the type of crimes vehicles can be used for.
It might be a variety of factors.

They might not use lost cars as a KPI because 90% of the time they are in scrapyards.

The non-speed camera network is dense now, if they wish to find a car, they can simply look for it. If it doesn't show up, then it is probably in a scrapyard.

It might be so common, the cost of punishment is pointless trying to enforce and redeem.

Maybe informing them of a mistake is the key thing here. Not doing so might be the misdermeanor.

D

Deleted member 26715

Well Sir, it has been used to ram raid a chemist for drugs in Norfolk.
Once had a Cavalier SRi stolen & that was used in an armed robbery in Sheffield, the thieves took everything that was in the front of the car which included tools & kids toys & put them in the boot. The Police made more of a mess of it with the stuff they used to try to get fingerprints from the car.

Zimbob

Über Member
A few years back I agreed a trade-in against a brand new Z1000, chopping in my Bandit 12. The garage 'phoned me on a Wednesday to advise that that i needed to come in and sign the V5, the 'bike would then be ready for me to collect on the Friday...
This done, I went in to the garage, full of joy, on the Friday, with my Bandit to collect the new Z.... The manager of said garage then decided he'd offered me too much for my bandit, and promptly knocked £750 off the agreed offer :cursing: Unsurprisingly I said no, and advised that if he wanted my money, he'd better stick to the prices we'd agreed, and shaken hands on. He refused, so I bade him farewell, and gathered up my cash. He bleated about the fact the Z was now 'used' as they'd registered it in my name, so they'd have to sell it as second-hand. i pointed out that this wasn't my problem, we'd shaken hands on a price and I'd honour that agreement.

Off I toddled, did a deal with another dealer, and was a happy chappy :smile: Imagine my surprise, 6 months later to receive a demand for unpaid VED for a different green Z1000 to the one I owned :rolleyes:

I had a heck of a job with the DVLA - they took some persuading that it wasn't mine. Eventually they agreed that it was a trifle odd that I'd had a second, identical machine registered to me 5 days later, and accepted my version of events, but it took some doing.... I suspect the garage in question had some explaining to do...

Good to hear that things seem to have become a bit simpler since then (early 2000's)

D

Deleted member 26715

That motorcycle story reminds me of my Fireblade having owned it for several years & HPI'd it before purchase on taking it for the MOT one day the guy said it had been written off & was a repaired bike, as he had MOT'd it the last 4 years he was also surprised with this. It took a huge amount of effort to get it sorted, what had happened was somebody had entered it into the computer wrong, my reg was XXX86X, the bike (also a Honda) was XXX88X somebody had misread the insurance forms, but the usual problem was nobody would tell me anything they all hid behind the DPA, In the end I was lucky enough to get a sensible person at the insurance company of the written off bike who contacted DVLA & sort it out.

Top Bottom