"Sold Secure" sleeved chain in long(er) lengths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Man cave construction is well underway, land anchor will be concreted in tomorrow so I'm in the market for some chain to secure the 'peloton' of family bikes.
So the question is where's the best place to get "sold secure" sleeved chain in longer lengths ie. 4m plus? So far only turning up in about 2m lengths...

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s are long options here for some specs but multiples of a hundred quid

https://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Chains+(without+padlocks)

Can’t you get two and lock together?

Or get an Asgard...

Be aware that the padlocks can be broken open extremely easily with 2 strategically positioned spanners, rendering them less than useless. I’d consider a different type of lock if I were you.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Be aware that the padlocks can be broken open extremely easily with 2 strategically positioned spanners, rendering them less than useless. I’d consider a different type of lock if I were you.

I'm investigating the 'padlock' options, there's a good lock & safe shop locally but he only supplies the chain in 2m lengths... he's got a good range of locks and is pretty clued up (as you'd expect) so I'll take advice on them, see which is the best way to go.

I've got a couple of full size kryptonite d locks, I could use them at a pinch I suppose...
Are they better than a well-designed (fit for purpose) padlock?
I’d have said so, they aren’t quite as easily defeated.

PK99

Legendary Member
Man cave construction is well underway, land anchor will be concreted in tomorrow so I'm in the market for some chain to secure the 'peloton' of family bikes.
So the question is where's the best place to get "sold secure" sleeved chain in longer lengths ie. 4m plus? So far only turning up in about 2m lengths...

Motorbike shop?

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
How about two ground anchors with two metres of chain each?

I'm putting one of the flush U-shaped anchors in for the chain to run through, I *could* put a more traditional anchor at the other end of the racks to attach a decent shackle to, then weld it up with a couple of chains attached to it...

gbb

Legendary Member
Almost certainly the blue banded lock...and maybe the USGeneral lock, look of modest quality at best. I'd like to see the same experiment with a good quality lock. I suspect the result would be different.

humboldt

I feel like that double spanner technique could be easily avoided by just using a closed shackle padlock so there's not enough space to squeeze the spanners in? Abus do decent ones but they can get quite pricey. The Pragmasis shop that @vickster posted also sell heavy duty ones to fit their various sizes of chain, or this novel little lock which only reliably fits the 16mm chain but is Sold Secure Gold:
RL21-Open-Inline-500px.jpg

(As you can probably tell I was looking at their site for options to use in a Cyclehoop but ended up with a long shackle D-lock after deciding I couldn't afford them. They have an excellent reputation and good customer service though judging from their posts on other cycling forums.)

Top Bottom