Soldering dynamo wiring to LED lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 3 years of reliable service, the exposed wiring that leads from my front dynamo lamp to the rear (B+M Secula) LED light became brittle and snapped in two. The exposed wiring is really thin copper, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did! Road vibrations have killed it at last.

I had to remove one of the two the tiny plastic clips that secures the copper wiring and creates a firm contact with the pins in the internal gubbins of the light. The copper wiring goes up through a hole and doubles back on itself on the outside of the clip/connecter for contact with the pin.

Unfortunately, I had to resort to removing the clip with plyers because it was firmly lodged in. Extracting it crushed it good and proper, rendereding the clip useless for reassembly. I trimmed and peeled back the plastic wire shielding to expose fresh wiring, but without the clip I can't think of a way to secure it with a reliable and strong contact. These tiny plastic parts are not available as spares from what I can see. Not being an electrician, I'm not even sure what they are called, or if they are a proprietary by design, or common as muck parts?

I tried and failed to solder the wire in place, I'm no expert with a soldering iron, but I had one in the garage from a failed DIY repair job in the past (should have learned my lesson then!) but the solder didn't adhere to the contact point. It looks a little rusty, could that be the problem?

Can anyone think of another way to fix the copper wire securely to the contact points. I'll post pictures later if that helps. If I can't get this sorted, it's going to cost me £20 for a whole new LED kit, simply to replace the little clip.

Last edited:
A photo is worth 10 000 words.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Not my photo, stuck in the office... but the clip/connector in discussion is the little black thing on the right under the alan key. The connector plate can be seen at the top of the LED housing just behind the clear plastic shield. Mines no longer new, a bit rusty.

420501-539790736-secula.jpg
e at

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try a 'Motor Factors' for the spade connectors, you could have got them from Maplins before cos they often used that size on car stereo speakers.

I smear the spade connectors with vaseline to stop siezing in place or corrosion.
Mine have been going for about 8 years without problems. Wind some excess wire around some part of the mount to protect the connectors from accidental tugging.

subaqua

What’s the point
View attachment 449969

Yes the pins here look similar. Obviously, I'm looking at the Secula model though which is rear facing

I have an abundance of these in my crimp set . PM me an address and I will send some .. if it was anything other than a stupidly low voltage I would suggest buying a crimp tool but for this a good squeeze with a pair of pliers or cutters between the handles (under the pivot ) is acceptable ( do not use the cutting blade bit )

subaqua

What’s the point
I smear the spade connectors with vaseline to stop siezing in place or corrosion.
Mine have been going for about 8 years without problems. Wind some excess wire around some part of the mount to protect the connectors from accidental tugging.

No don’t . Use a ty rap to tie it to the bracket correctly .

Top Bottom