solely commuters?

Do you only commute by bike?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Voted No on this occasion, as i do cycle to work 90% of the time...but when the weather turns for the worst like the wind blowing a gale, i decide to take the train.

Before i moved house a couple of years ago, i was on my bike all the time in all weathers but my commute was only 3 miles back then. Now its 6.

domd1979

Veteran
Most of my cycling is to work and back. Also use the Brompton for odd trips to the station when the bus isn't convenient, or for odd short trips.

gambatte said:
Just wondering, how many of us are commuters and that’s ‘it’?

Or is there a large proportion that cycle apart from commuting?

Personally, I’m also known to nip out for a road ride, occasionally get out on the MTB, pick the kids up from school in the trailer and I’ve got one of those silly cruisers for leisurely local summer rides down to the shops

Janeyb

Bit of everything. Commute 3 days a week and must admit I am finding myself getting addicted to cycling as I'm losing weight and toning up by behind and my legs ! :biggrin::blush:;) So am getting out on my converted MTB commuter for road rides once or twice a week, and taking my MTB out on forest routes once a week too. Lovin' it!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I’m a ‘no’, but because my use of bikes isn’t solely commuting to and from work. (However, my commute isn’t solely bike)

But I am trying to make 2 wheels a larger part of my life (or is that I’m trying to make the car a smaller part?)
I’m definitely not a sports rider or a ‘club person’ and when I get over all the excuses and re-establish the commuting, the MTB sits on the wall for a few months, all mileage going on the roady.

I’m deliberately choosing to use the bike for those short runs to the shops, round to relatives and upsetting the kids by saying “If I’ve cycled 30 miles to and from work today, there’s no way I’m dragging the car out to Chauffeur you two for half a mile back from school– now shut up, walk and don’t drop that shopping!”

So far its only solo, but I did get our lass doing the school run with the youngest by bike, till the latest bump appeared!

Like ‘Summerdays’ Mini Mes are getting to an age now where hopefully they’ll be wanting to get out and race away from their dad! I’ll get them riding and then introduce them to Sherwood Pines…..

The Beach Cruisers part of forward planning, so I can easily fall into the ‘embarrassing dad’ category.

Commute by bike 2/3 times a week. Go for longer rides on road bike at weekends. Entered a couple of sportives in the past and again this year. Also hoping to do a couple of road races this year as well as some club TTs and APRs. Also used to do a lot of mountain biking until a couple of years ago

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Alcdrew said:
I've gone for yes. But I do also use the bike for going other places, like shops, pub etc... But it's all for transport reasons and not for fun.

But I'm seriously thinking of putting in a major ride for the fun of it and to prove I could/can do it. By major, I'm thinking 100 miles. But I feel I need a reason (like somewhere to go) to be on the bike, not just riding round in a circle. So need to find somewhere to go about 50 miles away from me. Then I'll do it

Dunwich Dynamo 19th July Overnight. Hackney to Dunwich on the East Anglian cost 120 miles Hows that ?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
The VAST majority of my riding is my commute, though I use the bike for most short jaunts, to shop, etc. When I have somewhere to go, my first thought is, "Can I do it on the bike?"
As someone else stated, I have to have a destination. Maybe it's a psychological thing. I enjoy "pleasure riding", but do very little of it. Most organized rides would require me to haul the bike by car to the start of the ride, due to the distance. The thought of loading the bike onto the car and hauling it somewhere where I can "play" with it, like skis, surfboard, etc, just seems kind of counterproductive. I sometimes think I'd like to take a nice, long pleasure ride, but, not being able to think of a destination, I just can't get motivated to do it. I just think of the bike as "transportation."

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Like Magnatom, I only commute at the moment. I'd love to go out for a cycle run or two at the weekend but I have my daughter stay with me every weekend and she's still point-blank refusing to learn to ride her bike.

Keep threatening that I'll go out and leave her behind in the flat, but she knows full well I'd never do that so doesn't fall for it !

Alcdrew

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Dunwich Dynamo 19th July Overnight. Hackney to Dunwich on the East Anglian cost 120 miles Hows that ?

Looks fun, but getting to London would be a bit hard.

Although saying that, Google reckons London is only 57.8 miles away from me. Maybe I could ride to London and back as my long ride.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Alcdrew said:
Looks fun, but getting to London would be a bit hard.

Although saying that, Google reckons London is only 57.8 miles away from me. Maybe I could ride to London and back as my long ride.

I am getting the train down and then cycle home afterwards (another 30 miles)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm curious that some say they view their bike only as transport, yet they hang out on a cycling forum.

I mean, trains and planes are just transport to me. I use 'em 'cos they get me there, but I don't post on train or plane forums ...

Ben

Top Bottom