Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Small groups - under 10 riders

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Solo rides

Votes: 52 52.0%
  • Bit of a mixture of all

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Was watching John Bishop cycling / discussing cycling across Australia on BBC Docu last night.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b049bb2z/John_Bishops_Australia_Episode_1/

During the programme he discussed the solitude of cycling vast distances across Australia all alone and how he would find small funny things that would trigger his mind.

I sometimes feel a bit odd, wanting to cycle alone, or ending up cycling alone during 99.9% training rides. A bit of a loner perhaps?.

But watching John Bishop, it dawned on me that the Solitude is a good thing, allowing me space to think and feel free.

Last year I joined a local cycle club, and did some group rides, which I really enjoyed, but ultimately, I think I am actually happier on solo rides!

With this in mind, I'd like to gauge peoples views on Group Riding vs Solo Riding.

Thanks

Richard

MikeG

Guru
If I was cycling across Australia, or the length of Africa, then I think I would want company (although in Africa you would find lots of company along the road). Otherwise, I enjoy both.

Could you explain the 'neither' option to me?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

If I was cycling across Australia, or the length of Africa, then I think I would want company (although in Africa you would find lots of company along the road). Otherwise, I enjoy both.

Could you explain the 'neither' option to me?

Mistake, will remove
- Damn, can't!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I tend to do a bit of both, I prefer to ride alone at times, especially if touring locally, but prefer a group when riding any distance, easier to spread the loads of equipment and food, as well as company, safety, and support. Also, somebody can ride and get something if someone's bicycle breaks down, instead of walking. Something also to be said for collective expertise.

ushills

Veteran
Generally solo as I can set own pace, stop when I want to and talk to the various wildlife.

I occasionally travel with others but I find this too difficult to do often due to a busy lifestyle.

Cold

Solo riding for me.

snorri

Legendary Member
Loan Wolf
Better than a Loan Shark anyway;).
Back on topic, I have tried group riding on day trips and quite enjoyed the company but felt i would rather chat with people in a pub rather than try and hold a conversation while remaining alert to the various hazards etc. cyclists face and deal with routinely as they cycle along. Also on solo trips I feel free to stop at anytime for a closer look at anything that catches my attention and can add to the enjoyment of the day.
I just can't imagine finding a touring partner I could cycle with for more than a few days and still enjoy the tour.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think there is an option missing - I like riding alone, and also with one or two friends, but I wouldn't call the latter a 'group ride'.

And I can edit the poll for you if you wish - PM me with any changes you want made.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I think there is an option missing - I like riding alone, and also with one or two friends, but I wouldn't call the latter a 'group ride'.

And I can edit the poll for you if you wish - PM me with any changes you want made.

yes please. How about....answers....

1 Large Groups - e.g. 10 + riders
2 Small Groups - under 10 riders
3 Solo Rides
4 Bit of a mixture of all

thanks Spinney

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm fine on my own - you're your own boss. But I'll admit, all my touring has been done in Europe and if I was touring somewhere culturally very alien, I might feel like I could use some company.

My only 'tours' done 'not alone' have been extended weekends with an old mate from uni. These have ended up glorified pub crawls on wheels of 20-30miles a day - when one person feels like stopping, you both have to...when one person's had enuff for the day, you both have. Being able to find rooms in shitty weather at half the price you'd pay on your own are another temptation not to plow on.

Top Bottom