Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Small groups - under 10 riders

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Solo rides

Votes: 52 52.0%
  • Bit of a mixture of all

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It depends on my mood. I quite like a group ride but also regularly ride on my own which has its merits. I don't need to worry if I am riding to hard or slowly on my own just my own pace and I enjoy the solitude and time to reflect, which often is missing in a busy work and home life.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I often think I would like some company, but then again maybe not. I am purely a recreational cyclist, just going out and about for my own pleasure. I can go out when I want, stop when I want, got where I want, go as far or not as I want. The only problem I have is motivation. Sometimes its hard to get enough enthusiasm to go out.

Once i am out, I'm fine, and I am going out more now than ever, so I'll keep going on my own.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I prefer to ride alone. I decide the pace, the route, change it at will, stop as and when I want.
It would be nice if I could magic some company out of somewhere at the stops, but overall not a problem.
Was it Aztec Camera who sang the line "some people call us lonely when really we're just alone"?

I did Sydney to Adelaide on my own in 2009/10, and Sweden to Gibraltar in 2005 with a mate.

Both were great rides and I'm lucky that I can choose to go solo or have company. Alternating might be one way of getting the best out of a long tour.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Each has their place in my riding itinerary. This time of year I'm doing 10 hours a week minimum solo going back and forth to work so welcome the right company of a weekend.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I generally prefer to ride with one other person or in a small group. For touring, just one other person is more practical when it comes to accommodation.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Very much a mixture for me. I do like club rides that are well organised. I don't like disorganised ones, drives me mad. MY OCD I suppose. I can ride at someone elses pace for a while but eventually it gets to me. I do enjoy the banter over stops and regard club runs as a boys day out. Towards the end of a long club run I peel off and do 8 miles alone. I really enjoy that. I go out alone in the week or with my son on his day off.
I've toured with others and on my own. Some strange stories there, but it's all on my blog. Well some of it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't much like riding in a group and prefer to ride alone as it gives me some 'me' time when my phone is on silent and the buzzy thing is off too. I'll worry about missed calls another time. I can think my own thoughts and ride at my own pace. I can stop and look about me whenever I like too. I don't mind riding with just one or two others though. On longer rides it's nice to have some company though. I ride most of the time by myself and am perfectly happy.

yello

Solo. For the same reasons given by others.

Plus, you can meet people and chat at campsites etc... but you can't really tell a companion to shut up or sod off!

I've toured with my brother but we've always gotten on well. Even then, there were some moments and we had chill out days to ourselves.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I like to ride alone, exploring new routes at my pace, taking pictures, scaring myself by getting lost ... ohh my, what if something happens, there's only sheep for miles ... doh! here's a Tesco round the corner :blush:
But having started cycling later in life I know I need to learn from group rides, both the road techniques and the stamina.
Left to my own devices I would walk half of the hills and never do a right turn!
This is why I do many group rides above my comfort zone.
Always enjoy the company though, and the sense of security that comes from being part of a group.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
99% of my rides are solo, so I really enjoy a group ride when I get the chance. Need to find a cycling buddy to go out with on the road bike though to help with motivation and someone to stop and have tea and cake with too...

I prefer the freedom that solo riding allows me. Go where I want, when I want and at the pace I feel like.
Been going away for between 5 and 10 day rides for a few years now and this year I decided to do it alone and enjoyed it much more as there was nobody complaining about the wind , the accommodation etc etc. Already planning for next year.
I did get slightly lonely one morning but I put a bit of Peter tosh on and soon forgot about that!

[QUOTE 3169388, member: 30090"]Solo all the way. Accountable to only yourself and you can do what you want.

I pass the time by singing songs and reciting lines from famous films. My last ride saw me singing ''two front teeth'' and reciting lines from The Rock.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha it's not just me then!

Top Bottom