Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Small groups - under 10 riders

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Solo rides

Votes: 52 52.0%
  • Bit of a mixture of all

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabregas485

I like solo rides every so often due to the freedom, and some thinking time, but I also love going out on group rides. I rarely do group rides which is why I enjoy them, its not really the social side I like, I just like the feeling of a group, and how everyone pushes each other/points out tips etc.

Slow, large groups do tend to annoy me however.

pretty much the same as most people here. usually cycle alone during the week, but weekend rides or tours with my OH. Rarely if ever ride in a large group. Very soon to do my first solo tour...

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
If i was in a close relationship then it would be different but for now Im in the ride alone camp, each time ive ridden with another it's had it's tensions at times (not always) and I find i meet lots more people riding alone. Ther eis a limit though...3 months alone is enough.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I mainly ride alone.
Even if I'm cycling with friends we don't bimble along chatting very often, it tends to be a pretty-flat-out-effort-kind-of-day when we are on the road. Different at the cafe stop though (which I don't tend to do if I'm on my own).

i have enjoyed some group rides, pushes my cycling limits, but only if I like the people I am cycling with. On some previous club runs in France there were some people that I did not gel with so the rides were not very enjoyable. Solo rides, for me, are better as I can go at my own pace, where I want, as far as I want and when I want.

London Female

Über Member
The only solo rides I do is the trip to and from town. Longer rides are always in groups as I have a fear of getting lost. I have a real burning desire to do some touring but don't want to do it solo, I looked into booking something with a company that organise guided tours but they are expensive.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I do most of my riding alone, for fitness and just to enjoy the countryside around where I live. A sort of spur-of-the-moment thing, where I can go anywhere i like at the drop of a hat. The thing with cycling, though, is that the more you do, the more you want to do. I sort of fell into doing 40 mile charity rides and 100km audaxes with small groups when encouraged by some other cycle enthusiasts, and I do also enjoy riding in company. Pub stops are a nice bonus when riding together, and I love the random cameraderie of audaxes and big mass participation rides.

The problem I find is with mixed ability levels when trying to get your mates together, so if not on my own, I tend to go out with one friend at a time and fit in with the speed they find comfortable. I once went for a 40 miler with one friend who turned up in lycra, looking supremely fit and riding a matching brand new Orbea racing bike, and another friend who turned up on a creaking old hybrid, while wearing trousers and a coat and carrying a rucksack full of provisions. One wanted to ride at about 15mph, which I could match on the level, and the other needed to go at something more like 10mph and fell well behind every time we hit a hill. Try keeping a peloton like that together and you'll probably go back to riding alone.

Last edited:

jagman.2003

Über Member
Solo riding for me really. Don't think anyone else could fit in with my random choices of routes & frequency of rides. I have cycled in groups, although I find it difficult to get the right balance of riding styles.

I tried group commuting as well. But found I fitted in better with the neighboring company commuting group. Not sure what that says? :whistle:

yello

On some previous club runs in France there were some people that I did not gel with so the rides were not very enjoyable.

Interesting. Why was that do you think? A bit of culture clash?

I was talking to an ex-pat here recently and he found he didn't click with a couple of clubs he'd ridden with, he just felt he didn't belong. His French is good and he's ridden with UK clubs no probs. Yet another guy I know is quite happy in his club and his French is rubbish!

Moi? I'd been in a club for 4 years but decided not to rejoin this year because, to be totally honest, my cycling was suffering. A number of reasons but I felt a bit of an outsider and this was having a negative effect on me. Plus one of the elder statesman members was making the odd snide remark now and again and I eventually had a gut's full and decided to call time. Clubs are not for everyone.

Interesting. Why was that do you think? A bit of culture clash?

I was talking to an ex-pat here recently and he found he didn't click with a couple of clubs he'd ridden with, he just felt he didn't belong. His French is good and he's ridden with UK clubs no probs. Yet another guy I know is quite happy in his club and his French is rubbish!

Moi? I'd been in a club for 4 years but decided not to rejoin this year because, to be totally honest, my cycling was suffering. A number of reasons but I felt a bit of an outsider and this was having a negative effect on me. Plus one of the elder statesman members was making the odd snide remark now and again and I eventually had a gut's full and decided to call time. Clubs are not for everyone.
No actually, the French guys were generally very welcoming, it was a few of the British riders that were not very nice or friendly.

Where in France are you @yello? I can see why that can happen, some French resent the Brits being there, and some maybe are a bit worried about the language/culture issue. I was in a region with lots of British expats, so most of the French had come to accept us. In fact I would say 90% of my friends are french now. We were back there last weekend for the marriage of our French neighbours, still knackered because of it!! I have to say that the majority of the people that I disliked were Brits, who thought they were above everyone else. The Brits that I did not gel with on the club runs were just the same, they did not speak much French, and I guess disliked me as I thought it important to talk to the French contingent primarily and then them.

MarkF

Guru
Solo, cycling is "Mark" time, away from friends and family, freedom. I have toured with others but usually find a way to jettison them for long periods.

An organised tour with people I didn't know would be my cycling nightmare.

Top Bottom