SOLVED: Diagnosing an inconsistent creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Last week a new creak began, and I thought I had (by ear) diagnosed it to the headset. It needed a service anyway, so I duly did with new bearings. Went out this morning, first 10 miles...no creak, then it began again.

For the remainder of the ride I deduced it only occurs when I am out of the saddle, and rocking the bike side to side. It didn't occur when seated, and didn't occur when out of the saddle but not pedalling.

So on that basis, it could be the BB - but worth noting there's no play in the cranks, so I'm wondering if it could be the front wheel? Do wheels develop creaks?

Sharky

Guru
Do you have QR wheels. Try greasing the skewers and cams both sides.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There doesn't have to be any play in the cranks for the BB to click. May be worth taking thd cranks off, take the BB out, clean, regrease and refit.
It could also be one of the crank bolts, so would be worth checking those too.

Twilkes

Guru
A recent sound I had was the external cables creaking where they were attached to the frame by little plastic clips, I could recreate it by pushing the cable when the bike was stationary. The small plastic friction sound was amplified through the hollow metal frame making it sound like some horrendous structural fault. Mine occurred when I leant on the handlebars at various points, but could be occurring for you when you shift the bike side to side, meaning the cables are moving more.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Wheels make some weird noises when the spokes get loose and worn. Feewheel, stand up and lean the bike over as far as possible while riding straight.
Am I alone in getting an image of a faceplant when I read this advice?

wonderloaf

Veteran
A recent sound I had was the external cables creaking where they were attached to the frame by little plastic clips, I could recreate it by pushing the cable when the bike was stationary. The small plastic friction sound was amplified through the hollow metal frame making it sound like some horrendous structural fault. Mine occurred when I leant on the handlebars at various points, but could be occurring for you when you shift the bike side to side, meaning the cables are moving more.
+1 to this, had this happen recently as well.
I've have also just cured my creaky handlebars, turned out to be the clamp bolts so the addition of a smear of grease on the threads appears to have seen solved it.. until the next time!

Top Bottom