(solved)new chainring, chain not sitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss2.0

hi i know it is a noob question but im not sure what to do.

i have recently replaced my crank arms and chaining, (same size 46 tooth)

however im having this problem, the chain isnt bedding all the way round get this section about halfway that ride the very tip, and the bits that do bed, get stuck and follow the chain wheel.

bike is only 3 month old

iv done this a few times and never encountered this

what causes this and how do i fix?

Google chain suck. Guessing you did not replace the chain too?

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

no, not yet. so is it possable to get a wider chain? and if so does that mean that i have to replace the rear wheel gears? (cant remember proper name)

no, not yet. so is it possable to get a wider chain? and if so does that mean that i have to replace the rear wheel gears? (cant remember proper name)

yes you can but generally lower speed (ie less gears) is a step backwards in performance and may involve chainging cassette/shifters. I think you need to find out exactly what your problem is before you start throwing money away. A few more details may help including what bike and why you decided to change the chainset on a brand new bike.

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

ok done some research. and I have an idea what's going on. my new chainring is 1/8 size. so thats the issue

I had no choice but to replace the whole crank assembly. crank arms kept wearing down. and bottom bracket wouldn't stay tight

buuut I had no idea that chains had difo withs.

sooo now I ask whats the smallest chain size can I get away with?

I can't find 46 tooth chain rings

U

User6179

ok done some research. and I have an idea what's going on. my new chainring is 1/8 size. so thats the issue

I had no choice but to replace the whole crank assembly. crank arms kept wearing down. and bottom bracket wouldn't stay tight

buuut I had no idea that chains had difo withs.

sooo now I ask whats the smallest chain size can I get away with?

I can't find 46 tooth chain rings

Im not sure what your asking but reading between the lines you have bought the wrong crank?!

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

yep it looks like I mismatched the crank set (aaaarrrg!,)

what I'm asking is will I be able to get away with a larger chain to make it all work?

Tim Hall

Don't panic. But we need more information to be able to help.

What speed (how many sprockets at the back)?
What make and model of crankset?
Single, double or triple?
What make of front mech?
What make of rear mech?

As an aside, I don't quite follow your statement:
Crank arms kept wearing down? That's got me puzzled. And we'll skate round the fact that the bike is only 3 months old and should be a warranty matter anyway. Anyhow, answers to the questions above will be a start.

Fubar

Guru
For what it's worth I recently replaced the cassette and chain on my 2 1/2 year old triban which then highlighted that the chainrings were worn - old chain had stretched to match the worn chainrings, new chain kept slipping in middle ring. So I ended up replacing the whole drivetrain, all working dandy-o now.

Top Bottom