Some advice for fixing new cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I've changed a cassette once before for a clean, but I made sure I kept everything in a clear order to fit back on.

I've just received a shimano rs10 rear wheel, and a shimano tiagra cs4600 12-30t cassette.

I know the cassette pieces will slot on easy, but the wheel comes with a 1.8mm spacer for use with 10 speed cassette sprocket on 11 speed road wheel and free hub.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the rs10 is a 11 speed wheel? The cassette is 10 speed, so where does this extra spacer go, and does it matter orientation (is there a right side and a nooooo! side)?

I'm presuming it will slot on before the cassette but would like confirmation.

EDIT: Nevermind, was as I presumed, and it could only really go on one way so.

Last edited:

lazyfatgit

You'll have 2 spacers I think. A 1.8mm that takes the hub down to the width of a 9spd cassette and a 1mm? that comes with the 10spd cassette to make it the same width as a 9spd.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
You'll have 2 spacers I think. A 1.8mm that takes the hub down to the width of a 9spd cassette and a 1mm? that comes with the 10spd cassette to make it the same width as a 9spd.

Indeed, the 1mm came with the cassette, the 1.8mm with the wheel. Sorted it now, but thanks for the response. :smile:

Top Bottom