Some advice on biking to school & using their bike shed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Wow a totally useless person who decides peoples fate just like a key worker juvenile justice worker and the worst of the bunch a probation officers!
Probably when at Uni they thought they were going to change the world and help people, got the role they wanted and realised it was just a job became apathetic didn't give a f*** or just down right incompetent.
The whole system, social and probation services not fit for purpose!

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Sara_H

Guru
Wow a totally useless person who decides peoples fate just like a key worker juvenile justice worker and the worst of the bunch a probation officers!
Probably when at Uni they thought they were going to change the world and help people, got the role they wanted and realised it was just a job became apathetic didn't give a f*** or just down right incompetent.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

+1

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I hate all soldiers, all of them are just totally useless people who decides peoples fate by going around killing people.

Now do you see what I did there Riflemansmith?

[QUOTE 2497487, member: 45"]You think?

Mine were cycling off with their mates when they were 9. It was a great thing to watch, like the end of ET, BMXs darting all over the place.

I'd be an idiot to deny them that enjoyment and adventure.[/quote]

At that age we would pack sarnies, cycle the three miles on coutry roads to the back of RAF Wyton, and spend the day watching aircraft (Vulcan, Victor, Canberra, Lightning) take off and land, then ccyle home in the evening.

Sara_H

Guru
I don't molly coddle him but there is no way on this planet he would go to school on his own, nearly every day there are stories of abductions rapes etc.
Like the little 11 year girl that was followed home from SCHOOL dragged in to a park and subject to multiple rapes for hours and that was in my Borough just down the road from me!

Your child is more likely to be raped by one of your relatives than by a stranger in the street.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Without doubt one of the most ignorant and unpleasant posts I've ever read.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
At that age we would pack sarnies, cycle the three miles on coutry roads to the back of RAF Wyton, and spend the day watching aircraft (Vulcan, Victor, Canberra, Lightning) take off and land, then ccyle home in the evening.
That was you too? My love of riding stemmed from living in Bluntishsm up to 10yo and riding out to Wyton to feel the jetwash as the planes took off, we'd all converge from various villages and go our separate ways when we were done. Loved living so close and the sky going dark as the Vulcans went over or the Canberras so low you could wave at the pilot.

40 years later and I'm living in a bit more hilly territory but that simple joy of hopping on a bike and pedalling is just the same as it was back then.

Such a shame if more hysterical media and bizarre scaremongering posts on bike websites put a stop to an innate part of growing up and spreading our wings

RiflemanSmith

@ benb
"You don't have a clue what you're talking about. "
Yeah really?
First I grew up in care, second I have spent over ten years in prison so I spent a hell of a lot of time dealing with these people.
Yes it is a big generalisation, and there is always good and bad etc but the useless out weigh the good.
Don't get me wrong they are over worked have to many caseloads but they are like teachers they don't get the sack for being rubbish at their job.

Mister you may well be very good at your job and I don't know you and I normally judge people by who there are not what they are regardless of colour creed sexual orentation etc but I intensely dislike social workers and especailly parole officers.
I shouldnt have said what I did as they was no call for it, so to you I am sorry mate:smooch:

RiflemanSmith

Your child is more likely to be raped by one of your relatives than by a stranger in the street.
Yes I grew up in care I do know.

That was you too? My love of riding stemmed from living in Bluntishsm up to 10yo and riding out to Wyton to feel the jetwash as the planes took off, we'd all converge from various villages and go our separate ways when we were done. Loved living so close and the sky going dark as the Vulcans went over or the Canberras so low you could wave at the pilot.

40 years later and I'm living in a bit more hilly territory but that simple joy of hopping on a bike and pedalling is just the same as it was back then.

Such a shame if more hysterical media and bizarre scaremongering posts on bike websites put a stop to an innate part of growing up and spreading our wings

When I was older ... about 13/ 14 I used to cycle through Bluntisham to Earith to meet a young lady called Ruth!

Far more interesting than aircraft!

Funnily enough I was up there in March and cycled up the Old Ramsey Road... it hasn't really changed in 45 years!

At that age we would pack sarnies, cycle the three miles on coutry roads to the back of RAF Wyton, and spend the day watching aircraft (Vulcan, Victor, Canberra, Lightning) take off and land, then cycle home in the evening.
Different age mate, Same for me, we lived 3 miles from school, and everyday summer and winter rain and snow my Brother, sister and I walked to school and back along country roads with out an adult, and most kids did, weekends my mate and I used to cycle the 10 miles to Tangmere RAF station and watch the Lancaster and Spitfire and Meteor aircraft taking off. In those day you could cycle around the Airfield with out getting chased off, often invited to climb aboard the plane to see inside of it, we happily sit there all day with our packet of Sarnies and bottle of Tizer.
In those laid back days parents understood that kids had to have freedom to do there own thing we often left home at 9 in the morning and return home at 5PM and never wore a helmet no one never did in those days. Kids tended to be hard little buggers in those days, no manby pamby parents worrying about kids getting bumps and bruises or stranger danger. I treated my kids the same and no harm come to them.
Now you have teachers laying down rules about things that should be a matter for parents. The problem is unlike the OP most parents just sign away there rights without understanding that they are giving some of there parental rights over to the interfering teachers and other bureaucratic organisations

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's really important to let kids make mistakes and take risks (within reason), and learn that their actions have consequences.

The small risk that a child playing outside will come to harm is insignificant alongside the harm that will definitely come to them by never letting them have any freedom or responsibility.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Just to add a similar gripe of my own that has cropped up today. My work have set up a couple of rides this weekend, a 100 miler for the athletes and a family friendly 20. minimal support for the100 and none for the 20, we're not in liveried tops and we do it on our own time, no association to work at all apart fom it being the start and finish point.

The Gettysberg address is far shorter and to the point than the disclaimer we have to sign to participate, which advised helmets but then had a bullet point saying (I paraphrase) 'it's up to you but if you get hurt or killed through not wearing one don't come moaning to us'. (fair enough, my head, my choice, no bother with that at all).

The joining instructions that arrived today had a you must bring section including a helmet and backed it up with a helpful little clipart of a helmet with the epithet No Helmet = No Ride.

This has annoyed me far more than I expected it to. (70 odd % of the time I do wear a helmet) I'm not anti lid, I simply expect the right within the law to do with my head as I wish, on my own bike, on my own time & when I am doing nothing that represents the company through my dress or action that could bring it into disrepute. In fact I've cycled home from work many times helmetless and far more readily identifiable as working for them.

Cycling mileage is offered for business trips within work time on the proviso I wear a lid and hi-viz. No bother with that at all, I'm on paid time, if they told me to wear a pink tutu and Jimmy Cricket wellies its their perogative.

I will be taking it up with them in the same manner as puddles has, politely, based on the (conflicting) evidence, highlighting that helmet compulsion is seen by some as a disincentive and a voluntary ride for health should not seek to disenfranchise people from a healthy activity by overly prescriptive nannying and seeking the limits of where they feel corporate responsibility meets personal.

I shall not be taking part now but will go with my son on a 20 mile ride of our choosing dressed however the hell we like.

I used to do cycle training for the Scouts, and used to raise over a £1000 per year with a family sponsored ride.

Then rhey brought in a helmet rule and we had to exclude anyone who was not wearing one.

I no longer do either.

Top Bottom