Some advice on biking to school & using their bike shed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm not able to Quote the post in which Rifleman Smith calls me an idiot then goes on to berate me rudely for things I have never said or thought.
Rifleman Smith raise any points of issue you may have with cycle helmet wearing and these an be discussed in a polite manner, firing off insults impresses no one.

Now apparently there is a health and safety ban on frilly socks! after a girl fell over!

4947838.jpg

Surely the sensible answer would have been a frilly sock permit and an agreement that the girls had to wear a suitable helmet when wearing the socks?

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
& jumpers! & bags & anything of a dangly nature

Small people will injure themselves on anything. Last week eldest was carrying jumper managed to step on sleeve & put his teeth through his bottom lip, it was an interesting sight as I went into reception to ask to use loo... smallest small person had poo-ed her pants (potty training) was stinking to high heaven, largest small person was dripping blood from his mouth.

p.s. I would ban those frilly socks, but only because they are vile

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Any updates with the Head ? Hitlers of the Primary world !

No she has gone very very very quiet since the LA pointed out to her what she was doing was not legal & sent her an acceptable policy. I expect it will take some to-ing & fro-ing between her & them and some Admin time to actually see any changes, I would like to think that I would get a mail from her saying something other than "If you don't like it sod off" but by this stage I somehow think that is not going to happen.

No mention of helmets in this weeks school newsletter she is now on "Lunchboxes" and how they are an Egg, Nut & Kiwi fruit free school & how we should be all be doing stuff at home with our children especially in the summer holidays.

She is, however, allowing someone to advertise 2nd hand life jackets & car seats in the for sale section... *sits on hands*

2500992 said:
Yes, I have encountered Sustrans barriers with a tandem triplet

Just to be picky.... They are local Council barriers, installed by the local Council and often against the advice and complaints of Sustrans

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Just to be picky.... They are local Council barriers, installed by the local Council and often against the advice and complaints of Sustrans

Nope, I complained I was veh veh annoyed after getting stuck behind one in the cold wintery rain whilst also bursting for a wee (unless the man told big fat lies)

the answer I got

"Thank you for your email describing your experience with the cycle path barriers within Royal Victoria Country Park and the for the excellent accompanying photographs.
Having only very recently taken up my responsibilities at RVCP I have no direct experience of this installation. However, having looked into the background of the cycle path improvement project it would appear to have been initiated and specified by Eastleigh Borough Council in association with Hampshire County Council's Highways department.
The barriers were erected to protect cycle path users at the potentially dangerous crossing point of the Park access road and are to a specification approved by the Sustrans National Cycle Network.
I can appreciate that these barriers can be an inconvenience to cyclists, particularly to those with trailer-type cycles. However, any inconvenience is hopefully more than off-set by the safety benefits they provide."

!cid_33D86FA2902746F68352436295AF8CEA@HomePCHP.jpg

p.s. I don't complain often 'onest & I also made it a promise to myself this year that if someone did good things in a worky type environment I would write to their employer and say they are veh veh nice and did do good fings and you should give them a medal type thing cos they are nice& I have done. I have only complained twice this year once to school & once to the RVCP for this.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
p.s. I don't complain often 'onest & I also made it a promise to myself this year that if someone did good things in a worky type environment I would write to their employer and say they are veh veh nice and did do good fings and you should give them a medal type thing cos they are nice& I have done. I have only complained twice this year once to school & once to the RVCP for this.

But when you DO complain you do it properly! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

What safety benefit does the council think deliberately putting obstacles on a cycleway would provide?

It supposedly is to stop speeding cyclists shooting straight across the road to the next bit of cycle path without stopping and potentially being squished by a vehicle on the road!

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

But when you DO complain you do it properly! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Yes I do.. I have found my next awkward question for school.

"How come you told me I could not put quiche in my sons lunch cos it contained egg, yet on the school dinner menu Quiche is on there?" :blink: lol

The motor bike thing, would disagree as if you saw the park you would see why that would not stop motorbikes only cause them the same annoyance as longer/wider cyclists and there are lots of roads/paths they could access with no issue. In fact the other end of that path has no barrier it is only across that one road.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It supposedly is to stop speeding cyclists shooting straight across the road to the next bit of cycle path without stopping and potentially being squished by a vehicle on the road!

Brilliant.
We seem to trust car drivers with less intrusive methods, such as give way markings.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Of course they are much more observant and careful road users though benb, just look at the insides of any 6'6" width restriction barriers for evidence of just how observant and careful they all are ;)

Top Bottom