Some advice on biking to school & using their bike shed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
2496199 said:
So where is the equivalent policy for all the other modes of transport?

Well the policy for being driven to work is covered by law (e.g. a seatbelt must be worn)... what other modes of transport do you think might have a policy?

Sara_H

Guru
Well the policy for being driven to work is covered by law (e.g. a seatbelt must be worn)... what other modes of transport do you think might have a policy?

THe policy for cycling is also covered in law, there is abosolutely no need for schools to arbitarily add extra "rules".

Wow well done you are very heroic in your struggle against the oppressive over bearing regime of that school and your victory shall reverberate down the book of history.
Your name shall be the battle cry on the lips of the self-righteous forever more.

A few years ago in Portsmouth there was a young lad who was told he could not cycle to School because they had performed a safety audit and decided it was unsafe.

He could have let his lie and given up, but they did not. After some correpsondence the Council made the road to and from the School one way and clamped down on dangerous parking. THe ban was removed.

He is now the youngest competitor ever in the Abu Dhabi Triathlon and an up and coming racer.

But no - his parents should have stopped hi cycling as a child, and prevented this.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
THe policy for cycling is also covered in law, there is abosolutely no need for schools to arbitarily add extra "rules".

And I agree! But I can see where the head is coming from with her attempt to avoid any litigation/bad press etc. The problem is that it's not very well researched....but neither is public opinion.

If a poor kid takes a tumble the public will look to the school as a scapegoat, she's trying to cover her own back.

Sara_H

Guru
And I agree! But I can see where the head is coming from with her attempt to avoid any litigation/bad press etc. The problem is that it's not very well researched....but neither is public opinion.

If a poor kid takes a tumble the public will look to the school as a scapegoat, she's trying to cover her own back.

There is no fear of litigation as the head has no duty of care whilst the children are outside school, outside school hours.

Responsibility lies solely with the parents.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
2496212 said:
It was a rhetorical, there isn't one.
Oh good because I was looking for one & getting very confused, which is not difficult for me.

Thanks for all the alternative versions of Yay. For those that do not understand the need or even understand all I can say "is move along nothing to see here" I have explained and explained I do get the schools point, really I do, I suspect they did it with the bestest of intentions, none the less, that journey to school in my care, perhaps the words of Maggot, my 2 year old might help "Mine!, Not Touch"

I am hoping the Head has a really useful productive open conversation with the Transport Policy Department which results in lots of help in encouraging people out of cars for the school journey as that will help everyone.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
There is no fear of litigation as the head has no duty of care whilst the children are outside school, outside school hours.
Responsibility lies solely with the parents.

If there is no legal precedent (I don't know if there is) it doesn't stop someone trying to bring a case which in turn means bad press etc etc.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

If there is no legal precedent (I don't know if there is) it doesn't stop someone trying to bring a case which in turn means bad press etc etc.

https://www.gov.uk/health-safety-school-children
When schools are responsible for health and safety

Schools are responsible for day-to-day health and safety whenever your child is in the care of school staff - this includes school trips and clubs.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
https://www.gov.uk/health-safety-school-children
When schools are responsible for health and safety

Schools are responsible for day-to-day health and safety whenever your child is in the care of school staff - this includes school trips and clubs.

I'm afraid there's nothing in there that would stop some try-hard either bringing bad press, smear campaign or a frivolous lawsuit.

I totally agree and back you, btw, I just wanted to give the opposing view a little justification, misguided or not. :smile:

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

One point the lady at the Transport Policy LA said, which clarified everything for me on the actual helmet wearing issue (not he parental rights issue) was, she was very much pro-helmet and would love to make it policy for all children to wear helmets on the journey to school, but they cannot do that as it is not legal, which is why all the "official" sites, state that although they recommend them, it is down to the individual.

Sara_H

Guru

Should we make all important decisions based on the fact that someone might try to bring an action?

My son fell at school and injured his face on a concrete plant pot left in the middle of the playground, a friend of his did exactly the same a few months later.
It amuses me to this day that the head tries to force children to wear cycle helmets just in case of injury, and in circumstances she has no control over or responsibility for, but the plant pot that has caused actual injury is still in he middle of the playground.

Sara_H

Guru
One point the lady at the Transport Policy LA said, which clarified everything for me on the actual helmet wearing issue (not he parental rights issue) was, she was very much pro-helmet and would love to make it policy for all children to wear helmets on the journey to school, but they cannot do that as it is not legal, which is why all the "official" sites, state that although they recommend them, it is down to the individual.

Well, it sounds like she needs to read all the information you've gathered too!

Top Bottom