Some advice on Night Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HJ said:
A head torch is useful as a supplementary light, but don't be tempted to use it as your only front light. Other road users will look for lights at a lower level (unless it is either very bright or you are on a recumbent), so make sure you also have at least one light either on the handlebars or front forks...
Absolutely. I have two front lights, bar mounted: on lit roads, I have one flashing and one steady, on unlit roads I have them both on steady, off road and on darker roads, I add the head torch. Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the head torch was a supplement ..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
lit said:
Helmets just give you the illusion of safety, most people who wear helmets aren't confident riders.

Whatever chuck !

Davidc

Guru
Good advice on here.

See, be seen, keep warm, food, drink, phone, lights, tools, reflecting bits, head torch is useful especialy if anything needs mending, enjoy it.

Rhythm Thief said:
Look, be quiet about helmets, pro and anti. This thread is about night cycling, not helmets. Although in fairness I should point out that you've made some good posts on night cycling too.

Attaching a light bracket to your helmet hurts less than attaching a light bracket to your head..... conclusive proof that helmets are essential at night!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cunobelin said:
Attaching a light bracket to your helmet hurts less than attaching a light bracket to your head..... conclusive proof that helmets are essential at night!

Why? Just wear a head band with the light on, like this...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Fab Foodie said:
Good lighting to see and be seen-with plus spare batteries and back-ups. Site lligts at different positions at the rae, have one solid and one flashing.
Reflectives, ankle and wrist bands are cheap and available (e.g. - slap-wraps at Halfords) ankle bands are particularly effective at night.
Peaked cap is very useful like a cycle cap (Prendas £6 ish) which can be worn under a helmet if desired is good to keep the glare from oncoming lights out of your eyes.
Flexible clothing's good, temperatures can change rapidly at night. Buffs are useful too.
Cold feet are a killer, overshoes are brill, but sandwich bags work as a cheap and lightweight alternative (over your socks).
Hot drink? Take a flask.
Remember to drink and eat also, I find at night I tend to do this less than during the day, don't quite know why.
Night riding's ace.

Edit: A good head torch such as a Petzl Tikka plus is a great addition, allows you to scan the hedgerows and gives a high level point of light to oncoming road users. One of my best purchases.

I considered putting my feet in two tesco bags the other day but didnt think it would look the part :laugh:,I didnt think of putting them inside the shoes but over the socks. 2 Sandwich bags going on the bike tommorow :smile:

I've just started using a helmet after my first 6 months on the road and when i get cycling I hardly know i have it on.

If helmets are not benifical why do the pro cyclists ware them, cant be coz they enjoy having the extra weight on there bikes, do they have to ware them?

lit

wafflycat said:
Right then... that's a damning verdict on most of the peleton..:wacko:

I said cyclists not peletons, I still stand by what I said so good luck with where you are taking it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
lit said:
I said cyclists not peletons, I still stand by what I said so good luck with where you are taking it.

You are talking a load of rubbish...sorry. Most of the cyclists I know wear helmets - all experienced. Some don't, but that's their choice.

Top Bottom