Some advice on Night Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I usually wear one on the road but would hate to see them become mandatory. One I have didnt cost much and I barely know its on when riding.

No point arguing amongst ourselves about it its your head make your own decision.

wafflycat

lit said:
Explain to me how I am talking rubbish?

The vast majority of cyclists I know - which includes those doing touring, audaxes, club level competition to Olympic level competition, wear lids, either through choice or due to competition rules - they are experienced, confident cyclists. It's erronous, IMO, to suggest, as you did, that, "most people who wear helmets aren't confident riders."

GrasB

Veteran
g00se said:
Call me thick :smile:. Reflective will 'glow' with the smallest amount of incidental light on it - but hi-vis is just 'day-glo' (a bright colour). So in the dark, hi-vis is still hard to see unless a lot of light is falling on it.
Bright coloured materials are okay but day-glo when exposed to any reasonably powerful light will be brighter. You then you have reflective which reflects light in all directions, this is good for using light sources such as street lights for highlighting a road user. With that said, the big one for other road user is retro-active materials, they have some kind of lensing effect build into the reflective material which sends back almost all the light in almost the same direction, it's even brighter than reflective materials. All of these are armoury you can use to be seen, mixing all 3 of the hi-viz options together should give you good visibility no matter what the situation. With that said the final thing is lights, none of these materials substitute having bright 'be seen' lights on your bike.

Below are 2 photos of a normal bright orange (though it was a plastic bag so brighter than normal cloth), high viz yellow in gortex & lycra/nylon, a reflective band & retro-active high lights. On the left without flash but a 25w equivalent bulb 2m away & with flash to the right.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
roundisland said:
I've just started using a helmet after my first 6 months on the road and when i get cycling I hardly know i have it on.

If helmets are not benifical why do the pro cyclists ware them, cant be coz they enjoy having the extra weight on there bikes, do they have to ware them?

I think because they have too. Certainly in the TDF helmets are mandatory.

lit

wafflycat said:
The vast majority of cyclists I know - which includes those doing touring, audaxes, club level competition to Olympic level competition, wear lids, either through choice or due to competition rules - they are experienced, confident cyclists. It's erronous, IMO, to suggest, as you did, that, "most people who wear helmets aren't confident riders."

Now you've offered a quality response I see where you are coming from, but I thought it'd be clear I was talking about commuters as quite clearly you don't become a professional by not being confident.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
roundisland said:
I've just started using a helmet after my first 6 months on the road and when i get cycling I hardly know i have it on.

If helmets are not benifical why do the pro cyclists ware them, cant be coz they enjoy having the extra weight on there bikes, do they have to ware them?

Because they have to, and if the rules didn't make them, then the sponsors would as there is a lot of money to be made from cycle helmets. They cost £2.50 to make and distribute, then retail for £40 +, nice fat profit margin and they are easy to sell. Fear sells, keep telling people the cycling is really dangerous and that they must wear a helmet and the mugs will keep of buying!

Arch

Married to Night Train
HJ said:
Because they have to, and if the rules didn't make them, then the sponsors would as there is a lot of money to be made from cycle helmets. They cost £2.50 to make and distribute, then retail for £40 +, nice fat profit margin and they are easy to sell. Fear sells, keep telling people the cycling is really dangerous and that they must wear a helmet and the mugs will keep of buying!

Look, you don't have to wear one, but stop trying to suggest that those who do are in some way stupid. I wear one, sometimes. It depends on what sort of ride I'm doing and the conditions. Partly I have one to keep my Mum happy. Sometimes I wear it because I'm wearing all the kit, and it's part of the 'uniform'. I'm perfectly confident on a bike, I commute, I ride for fun, I tour. I don't appreciate you sneering at me for having a helmet.

Rip Van

Veteran
lit said:
I said cyclists not peletons, I still stand by what I said so good luck with where you are taking it.

Erse! Becoming bigger!:blush:

lit

Look, you don't have to wear one, but stop trying to suggest that those who do are in some way stupid
He's not saying they are stupid, he is just saying people are being conned into thinking cycling is dangerous when it isn't.

Top Bottom