Some advice on Night Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy OC

Hello everyone,
I've got into cycling in the past couple of months or so and am loving it; a few weeks ago I broke 60 miles on a trip to York. I've been stepping it up gently - not so many long trips but plenty of 20-30 mile capers around Newcastle and Durham, and am going to aim for my first century this weekend - Newcastle to Bradford to meet a friend at uni there.
Now a fair bit of this cycle will be at night; think I sorted with regards to lighting - a solid and a flashing light on both ends and plenty of reflective clothes - (though any / all advice gratefully received) but was wondering what other things I should look out for on a night ride that I will no doubt have overlooked?
Would it be a wise idea, for example, to take a trangia and sachet of soup or hot chocolate or suchlike? As I'm pretty sure nowhere is going to be serving anything at 11pm!
I suppose I'm just looking for some general advice on the various challenges of cycling on out-of-town roads at night.

Cheers
Andy

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome Andy,

You cannot have too much visibility! Better to look like a prat ( as some would see it) , than be a dead hero , IMVVHO. Hi Viz cuffs are probably a good idea so that you can be seen when indicating turns. Oh yes, a helmet..

I speak as an aged beginner wimp with an advanced sense of his own mortality by the way.

OP
OP
A

Andy OC

Thanks for the welcome Slowmotion,
Thanks also for the advice; I tend to agree with you regarding visibility! I've got myself some armbands with reflective material on - are these the 'cuffs' you referenced?

Cheers
Andy

lit

Helmets just give you the illusion of safety, most people who wear helmets aren't confident riders.

darkstar

lit said:
Helmets just give you the illusion of safety, most people who wear helmets aren't confident riders.
Don't turn this into a debate on Helmets:rolleyes:
I suppose you should take some food and water but there are plenty of 24 hour supermarkets/garages that you'll be able to pop into, maybe have a few planned before hand?
Good luck!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
lit said:

I never claimed to be one, and I am certainly not, and if you do not want to wear one, that is fine with me, and I respect your decision.

Ride safely.

lit

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just my thoughts from my observations of other cyclists, I could be wrong, who knows.

I think if someone did try it without a helmet they'd enjoy it more, depends on the person really.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
lit said:
I wasn't referring to you specifically, just my thoughts from my observations of other cyclists, I could be wrong, who knows.

I think if someone did try it without a helmet they'd enjoy it more, depends on the person really.

Fair point. I love the wind in my (thinning) hair, and when not riding in traffic, I tend not to wear one. My take is simply that , at night, on a road, cyclists get killed for loads of reasons. I think that a helmet might stack the odds a bit in my direction, and I wear one. I would much rather not do so.

Ride safely

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Use good lights...not just to be seen, but something that you can actually SEE by.

Tony B

I would have back up lights, at least 2 on the front and back, the more the merrier, also if you going at night wrap up warm, if you get to hot you can remove a layer, but by not wearing enough you'll get colder,

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good lighting to see and be seen-with plus spare batteries and back-ups. Site lligts at different positions at the rae, have one solid and one flashing.
Reflectives, ankle and wrist bands are cheap and available (e.g. - slap-wraps at Halfords) ankle bands are particularly effective at night.
Peaked cap is very useful like a cycle cap (Prendas £6 ish) which can be worn under a helmet if desired is good to keep the glare from oncoming lights out of your eyes.
Flexible clothing's good, temperatures can change rapidly at night. Buffs are useful too.
Cold feet are a killer, overshoes are brill, but sandwich bags work as a cheap and lightweight alternative (over your socks).
Hot drink? Take a flask.
Remember to drink and eat also, I find at night I tend to do this less than during the day, don't quite know why.
Night riding's ace.

Edit: A good head torch such as a Petzl Tikka plus is a great addition, allows you to scan the hedgerows and gives a high level point of light to oncoming road users. One of my best purchases.

jimboalee

Yup, a lamp that uses AA batteries with plenty of spares. The lamp should be removeable so it can be positioned to illuminate a puncture repair.

Darkstar's recommendation of researching the 24 hour garages is a MUST.

lit

slowmotion said:
Fair point. I love the wind in my (thinning) hair, and when not riding in traffic, I tend not to wear one. My take is simply that , at night, on a road, cyclists get killed for loads of reasons. I think that a helmet might stack the odds a bit in my direction, and I wear one. I would much rather not do so.

Ride safely

Fair point, I do find myself looking over my shoulder at night more than the day.

As long as we all enjoy our riding is the most important thing.

Top Bottom