Some Brompton Purchase Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You need the sort that blumen fence out 'n all.

simon.r

Person
I don't currently ride a folder, but for years I used to keep one in my car boot and use it regularly for an hour or two (while waiting for the kids to finish football training/ brownies / swimming or whatever). The four folders I've experience of are:

Brompton - just didn't feel big enough, even with the extended seat-post (I'm 6'2").
Dahon Speed-Pro - worked very well, but did feel flexy compared to a normal bike.
Giant Half Way - my main reason for posting as this bike seems to get overlooked. A very good bike IMO. It is flexy, but not as much as the Dahon. It's big enough for tall-ish people with no alterations and it looks funky:smile: (single sided swing-arm and fork). Spec is basic but adequate. It doesn't fold as small as the others.
Birdy Green - limited experience of this, but I just couldn't get used to the back pedal brake (tho' that may be a peculiarity of the particular model I had?)

I didn't use any of the bikes as commuters, or take them on public transport. As long as they folded small enough to fit comfortably in a car boot that was enough for me. Everything I've read suggests that the Brompton is by far the smallest (and neatest) folded if that's important to you.

iancvt55

I strongly recommend you try folding and unfolding a Brompton a few times. Then go away for 1/2 hour or so and come back and try again. Yes it folds small but in can be a sod of a job to do. Now a Dahon doesn't fold so small but it is much easier to do.

StuartG

slower but further
I strongly recommend you try folding and unfolding a Brompton a few times. Then go away for 1/2 hour or so and come back and try again. Yes it folds small but in can be a sod of a job to do. Now a Dahon doesn't fold so small but it is much easier to do.
I strongly recommend you get someone to show you the easy quick sequence (or watch that race on Youtube). Its 20/30 seconds to get it in a locked secure package (and the same to reverse). No fiddling and you don't have to dirty your hands. Its always a pleasure to watch your fellow passengers gawp as you pull into a station to see a bike suddenly come together in four basic moves.

Initially it might not click that the seatpost locks/unlocks the fold from which all else follows. Seriously - when you spot another Brommie owner - ask. I'm sure thay will be delighted to share their knack. Don't be put off. Its such a waste.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I
How much difference does the lowered gearing actually make at both ends? does it just give a better granny gear or does it lose cruising and flat out speed too?

Yes and no.

Lower gearing gives a useful lower first gear, but on my six-speed at least, the higher gears are still plenty high enough for cruising and speed.

You also mention ride.

Brommies ride generally well, they feel like a quality, bomb-proof bike.

However, I think the front end is a bit harsh on potholes, dropped kerbs and other imperfections.

The steering is a bit twitchy, but also direct which is handy for manoeuvring in traffic.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There where four Brompton riders on last weekends FNRttC to Whitstable, they rode the 70 odd miles there on thier brommys with no bother at all, which is why I am considering getting one, it's just a matter of deciding which one.

Anyway the info shared on this thread has been most useful, especially the info about the seat post, the bars and the gearing. Thanks everyone for the input, I shall let you know when I get one.

peterjvh

Regular
Some are talking about being too big for a Brompton. How big is too big?
I'm 6'1" and 225lbs. (My touring bike is a 59). I use the extended post and a firm block (shock). The seat post is not fully extended with about 2+ more inches available, and the seat rails are in the middle. Using P bars, their tops are a bit forward compared to M and S so the cockpit is a little extended. It fits me fine.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Oh, the other thing I meant to ask is; I might buy second hand on the old Bay of E, any advice on what to look out for that could be expensive to repair or replace?
get the number of the bike and run it by Brompton. There's a lot of stolen Brompton's up for sale.

I don't ride mine long distances, but I do rate it as a workhorse. A couple of day's groceries on the back rack - no problem. Not to mention sixty nine shirts
fnrttcshirt001-1.jpg

Sara_H

Guru
I'm also looking for a Brompton. Hoping for an M6R. Am looking out for a second hand one locally, failing that I'll use the bike to work scheme next time it comes up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I strongly recommend you get someone to show you the easy quick sequence (or watch that race on Youtube). Its 20/30 seconds to get it in a locked secure package (and the same to reverse). No fiddling and you don't have to dirty your hands. Its always a pleasure to watch your fellow passengers gawp as you pull into a station to see a bike suddenly come together in four basic moves.

Initially it might not click that the seatpost locks/unlocks the fold from which all else follows. Seriously - when you spot another Brommie owner - ask. I'm sure thay will be delighted to share their knack. Don't be put off. Its such a waste.

+1 although I reckon about 10-15 seconds, although my kids can make a right mess of it if they ever try.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Speedy folding is useful when dashing for that last empty seat in a crowded train carriage!

Top Bottom