Some Brompton Purchase Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am considering the matter of buying a Brompton bicycle, the purpose of which is to keep it in the car, and use it between jobs, when I have an hour two to kill, which is quite often. My wife may take it to work to use it too, in her lunch break.

However, I'm getting all confused with the different configs, handlebars, frame/fork types and gearing.

Is there a definitive Brompton the one which is the most popular? The one most sort after, the trendiest, the bestestes one?

I discovered today that there is a Brompton dealer in Oxford, and they have about six demo bikes in various configs and I plan to go down next week and try a couple, but before I do that I would like to armed with a bit more info from you guys in "The Brompton Collective" that are in the know about such things.

Many thanks.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Oh, the other thing I meant to ask is; I might buy second hand on the old Bay of E, any advice on what to look out for that could be expensive to repair or replace?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2487484, member: 45"]If they have to offer you unlimited variations to get you to buy one, the product is rubbisher than McDonalds coffee.[/quote]

In the evidence to support that conclusion is where?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you just want something to stick in the boot and pootle on, a Brompton may not be the right answer unless you've got a small boot - other, cheaper, folders are available. I regularly ride a Trek (Dahon rebadged) which would be perfectly comfortable if I could be bothered to adjust it properly and put a decent saddle on it. But the furthest I ever do on it is about 5 miles.

The Brompton is the business if you want to use it on public transport. Unless you're planning on riding on lots of hills, the basic 3-speed version is adequate, and has the advantage that the transmission is very simple indeed - I've heard several times that the derailleur on the six-speed really doesn't work very well.

The handlebars are a matter of taste. I like the traditional ones (M-type I think they're called now), which are also the cheapest. The S-type are a bit sportier but look comically low unless you're short.

If you think you'll use luggage at all, it's worth getting the front luggage block. If not, don't bother. Likewise the rack - I use it mainly as a more robust stand for the folded bike. Ditto hub dynamo - it's a godsend on a commuter bike, but probably useless unless you know you'll be riding at night. Don't, whatever you do, waste money on a bottle dynamo. They're a pile of junk on the Brompton.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you just want something to stick in the boot and pootle on, a Brompton may not be the right answer unless you've got a small boot - other, cheaper, folders are available. I regularly ride a Trek (Dahon rebadged) which would be perfectly comfortable if I could be bothered to adjust it properly and put a decent saddle on it. But the furthest I ever do on it is about 5 miles.

The Brompton is the business if you want to use it on public transport. Unless you're planning on riding on lots of hills, the basic 3-speed version is adequate, and has the advantage that the transmission is very simple indeed - I've heard several times that the derailleur on the six-speed really doesn't work very well.

The handlebars are a matter of taste. I like the traditional ones (M-type I think they're called now), which are also the cheapest. The S-type are a bit sportier but look comically low unless you're short.

If you think you'll use luggage at all, it's worth getting the front luggage block. If not, don't bother. Likewise the rack - I use it mainly as a more robust stand for the folded bike. Ditto hub dynamo - it's a godsend on a commuter bike, but probably useless unless you know you'll be riding at night. Don't, whatever you do, waste money on a bottle dynamo. They're a pile of junk on the Brompton.

Thank you, very helpful info.

StuartG

slower but further
If it is for pootling about the standard and cheapest M3L with the lowered gearing is probably best. The mistake I made was thinking it a simple commuter bike. Its a real bike that will go as far as you can and I regulary do 50+ mile rides on it. Hence I now wish I had gone for the six speed for the climbs and go a bit faster on the flat. (And I'm no spring chicken).

The disadvantage of the S is the limited front bag options.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
GAH! bugger! And Arse! I have just realised I typed Advise instead of Advice. Sorry!

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Varying advice it seems. I have had a Dahon (Jetstream P8) and now have a Brompton (S6L) and liked both. If you are just keeping in the car then maybe dont need to get a Brompton as you can get some cheap 2nd hand ones off ebay, so plenty to choose from. Quality is relative to some but Brompton in my experience is definitely up there and re-sale value quite high, which speaks for itself.

Up to you really, depends how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. Definitely something with more than 1 gear would be my recommendation and also not too heavy. You could do Brompton, Dahon, Monague, Trek, Orbea, Land Rover, Kansi etc etc etc.

Good luck

Domestique

Über Member
This might be useful for the handle bar differences
6106417739_af455dcd8a.jpg

Fwiw we have two M type Bromptons, both 3 speed but one is the lower gearing. Imo that is a much more useable gear range. I do not like pushing big gears and this is a much nicer ride than the standard geared model.

Summerking

Veteran
Hi CarlP
I have a Brompton L6 that I bought secondhand a week ago,have been out on 3 rides of 26 miles, I find it supremely comfortable and it just glides along on the flat and its upright seating position feels like you could ride for miles and still be ok at the other end, the only issue I have with it down here in Cornwall is that even with the 6 speed a lot of the hills have defeated me, was determined NOT to get off and push but ended up having to.
I understand you can have a lower gear fitted and this I am considering doing,and the size it folds down to has to be seen in the metal to be believed.

Night Train

Maker of Things
My Brompton, Tiddles, is an M3 (modified) and I have a thread on it.

I have used a six speed before but I wasn't happy with the way the gears change, needed to flick both levers to split the gears to avoid big jumps in the ratios. You could, of course go single speed.

I am quite happy with the M handlebars but there is precious little space for stuff unless it is all removable for the fold, or carefully placed to avoid clashes.

The saddle is also a bit of an issue for most. I like mine but I like soft squidgy saddles.:blush:

I think for what you are looking at using it for the most basic will be fine as you won't need to carry luggage, have a rear rack, have a titanium frame, etc. The only thing that you are likely to change is getting a luggage block on Ebay, and possibly mudguards.
If you are tall then look for an extending seat post. At 5'10" with a 33" inside leg when cycling I am right at the top end of the standard post with the saddle clamp raised to the top lip of the post.

The folding pedal makes a difference when carrying the Brom but less so if it is just living in the car. Good standard pedals, or SPDs are going to be a stronger option.

Don't worry about trendy, they all are, or aren't, depending on your POV.
Ebay is testament to that as the prices always seem to soar to silly levels.

Arch was lucky as I saw an ad for one locally on Ebay cheap and early days so I visited and waved some cash at the woman who really didn't know what she was selling. It was the most basest of base models and I had to renew cables and fit mudguards and a luggage block and service it.
Mine was almost a non runner when I bought it from a late friend of Arch. Again cheap as it was a cash and friendly transaction.

I use mine for almost everything, long and short rides, towing stupidly heavy trailers, etc. and I expect it to be good enough for me to do my imperial century.

Top Bottom