Some Brompton Purchase Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Test rode a couple of Bromptons today, the S and the M, one with three speed (S) and the M with six speed.

I think I'll go for the six speed M. I thought they were great fun, comfortable if a bit twitchy at first, but I soon got used to it, I thought the gear levers were a bit odd and cheap looking, but not a deal breaker.

Now then...what colour?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
comfortable if a bit twitchy at first, but I soon got used to it, I thought the gear levers were a bit odd and cheap looking

Front mounted luggage dampens the steering nicely.

I agree about the gear levers, and the sequence takes a bit of getting used to.

Some of the components on Brommies are a bit low rent for a £1K bike, but the latest ones have better grips and brake levers.

The foam grips on my 2010 looked like something from a pound shop.

Crankarm

Guru
Oh, the other thing I meant to ask is; I might buy second hand on the old Bay of E, any advice on what to look out for that could be expensive to repair or replace?

Avoid Ebay the majority being offered for sale are nicked.

My first Brompton M6L, red and black was pinched in 2004 and was probably sold on Ebay or through Brick Lane market.

StuartG

slower but further
Avoid Ebay the majority being offered for sale are nicked.

Some are, some aren't. It is possible to distinguish:

* Good rating, comments appear original
* Is the description real or cut'n'pasted?
* Is there a dealer invoice?
* Does the seller understand Bromptons (Q. How do you change the rear tyre? A. With extreme difficulty)
* Collect from seller's home (not outside)

Night Train

Maker of Things
The foam grips on my 2010 looked like something from a pound shop.
I upgraded my grips to leather (made them myself) with a full grip length twist shifter for the three speed hub.
If I had a six speed I'd have both grips as twist shifts.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I bought a second hand 3 speed Brompton a few months ago and I'm gradually modifying it to be more suitable for me.
I'm 6'2" with a 35" inside leg, so have the telescopic seatpost, and have also replaced the standard M type bars with an H type stem plus an Aberhallo stem raiser and Wharfe 3" riser handlebars with Ergon grips and bar ends ( this gets the bars a bit higher but also means not hitting the M type bars with my knees when out of the saddle)
I've also changed the chainset for a standard triple of which I can change between the middle and inner rings manually when faced with hillier terrain, long term aim is to get an 8 speed hub gear.
I've ridden 40 miles on it quite comfortably and find it a great bike, but will be much better when I get the 8 speed fitted.
2013-06-16_13-18-06_997a.jpg 2013-06-16_13-18-23_133a.jpg 2013-06-16_13-18-47_658a.jpg 2013-06-16_13-21-01_150a.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
2. I had thoughts of being able to carry it in a bag/backpack - even going as light as possible that wasn't going to be practical

Eh? Why on earth would you want to do that? With a bag, it takes 17 seconds to unfold and 15 seconds to fold. If you need to carry it further than up or down a set of steps, you roll it.

Top Bottom