Some Brompton Purchase Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
FYI, my M3R-X is for sale atm, finishing Sunday.

@Moderators: please delete if this is considered to be SPAM

Crivens! £660 so far!

Is there a buy it now?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Eh? Why on earth would you want to do that? With a bag, it takes 17 seconds to unfold and 15 seconds to fold. If you need to carry it further than up or down a set of steps, you roll it.

??? why would you not want to see if something was portable in that manner? I can think of many scenarios where a backpack bike would be convenient, especially keeping both hands free.

It was a point I felt I needed to clarify, had it been feasible then I would have chosen the Brompton despite my reservations about the ride and the componentry.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Because it's already the most portable bike on the market. I mean, if you really want to put it in a backpack, there's nothing stopping you, I just can't see why you'd want to.

Also not sure what your issue is with the components - they are hugely reliable and virtually maintenance-free. The only thing I'd change is that I'm now using my Brompton outside town as well as in it, something I didn't envisage when I bought it, so I see an 8-speed upgrade at some point in its future.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Because it's already the most portable bike on the market. I mean, if you really want to put it in a backpack, there's nothing stopping you, I just can't see why you'd want to.

Also not sure what your issue is with the components - they are hugely reliable and virtually maintenance-free. The only thing I'd change is that I'm now using my Brompton outside town as well as in it, something I didn't envisage when I bought it, so I see an 8-speed upgrade at some point in its future.

You don't need to see why I'd want to backpack a bike it's enough that I could see it.

My folder is 8 speed and has standard componentry and 135mm rear spacing - it also has a really easy rear wheel removal and shares luggage with my other bikes. But again you don't need to agree or see my preferences.

T4tomo

Guru
I can see the trike thing, some people are physically unable to ride a bike, or "just for a hoot".

Still not seeing the back pack. With a Brompton / folder you either ride it, or push it or acrry it a short distance to get it on or off a train.

Maybe rockclimbing up to ride back down an Alpine pass - that might need a rucksack bike.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Trikes are go-karts for (nominal) grown-ups. :-)

Top Bottom