Some fixed advice please ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Welcome to the world of fixed and single speed . I agree with Skipdiver gearing seems a little high , but you maybe young with thighs like a track sprinter .

midlife

Guru
Have you joined lfgss :smile:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Definitely take Sharkeys advise and change those brake levers for conventional ones. As said descending at 150 rpm with your hands in the middle of the bars would not be safe and where do you put your hands with no hoods? AND stick to having both brakes despite what some say, having two makes it much easier and more comfortable.
I have always used 48x19 which is about 68 inches or 48x20 65 inches (which is a bit too low really) and I just about manage around fairly hilly bits of Kent on that for shortish rides. Have fun!

OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Looking forward to it! Brake leavers I can change - no problem. I’ll try the gearing but I’m far from young so I don’t know how I’ll get on. What’s Ifgss?

midlife

Guru
Lfgss = London fixed gear and single speed

A forum where the swear filter never works but can be entertaining lol

Sharky

Guru
Velosolo is a good source of fixed/single speed stuff.

If the bike comes with a 16t, worth stocking up with a 17, 18 sprockets. With horizontal fork ends, you can usually cope with a sprocket difference of about 4 teeth, without adding or removing chain links.

Also a chainwhip if you haven't got one already and a nice spanner for your saddle bag to cater with the wheel nuts. Should be 15mm, but older imperial wheels were 1/2" and 9/16" sizes. A small adjustable spanner is a useful addition to carry with you on the bike.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Nooo I stay clear of the Kent Alps on fixed! I use it for short rides about 15-20m loops around Darenth, Well Hill, Eynsford Shoreham etc, so mostly short and sharpish. We descended Exedown recently and I did think briefly of fixed but then maybe not! Strictly a gears ride now.
One bonus of lockdown is that I've got my partner into road riding, can remember Easter Sunday looking down on the M20 from Fawkham and seeing zero cars:smile: however she dislikes me riding fixed as apparently I am faster on it haha. No, dont know Bill.

Top Bottom