Some local bike shops are...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...absolutely maddening in the inconsistency of their customer service, appalling in their stock control, slap dash in their approach to genuine sales enquiries, charge stupid prices for stuff, and are staffed by uncommunicative teenager blokes often in grown-up adult bodies.

I shall be returning to buying everything off the interwebs once more as locally they are clearly making money hand-over-fist selling totally inappropriate complete bikes to folk who probably will hardly ever ride them.

Thank you. That is all.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have 6 bike shops in a ten minute ride from me..and another two in shoreham down the road. Mostly they are very expensive and mess up the servicing...so I learnt to do it myself mostly.
Oh...and there is also halfords...hmmm....

But I think all of the bike shops here could learn a lot in how they deal with customers.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have three good bike shops around this way and they are all really pleasant and helpful, a bit more expensive than some net prices but with a proper service.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I have three good bike shops around this way and they are all really pleasant and helpful, a bit more expensive than some net prices but with a proper service.

Not sure how close you are to Rochford cycles on Woodhouse Road fairly near to you @derrick but ive popped in there a couple of times and they seem like nice blokes. Matey even chucked me a spacer for my headset gratis after a small chat i offered to pay but he refused.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not sure how close you are to Rochford cycles on Woodhouse Road fairly near to you @derrick but ive popped in there a couple of times and they seem like nice blokes. Matey even chucked me a spacer for my headset gratis after a small chat i offered to pay but he refused.

http://www.shorter-rochford.co.uk/ Jason is a top bloke when it comes to bikes,and all the guy's there are really helpful.
http://www.lepelotoncycles.com/ see Paul always got the coffee on.
http://www.bikeandrun.co.uk/ Can't remember the guy's name, but again very helpful.
Have spent a fortune in all three shops.
Then there's Wiggle for online stuff.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cleveland cycles Tattershall, I will not darken their doorway again, useless unhelpful customer service. Did I mention over priced as well.

The reason behind my thinking, well I stopped to help a cyclist today in full kit who unfortunately had got through both his spare tubes and broke his pump whilst riding on our totally useless roads around Lincolnshire, I stooped in the car and gave him a lift to the local shop mentioned above and because they were stopping for lunch in 20 minutes the could not help him by fitting a new tube, money was not the problem as I was more than happy to pay for the guys misfortunes ( I know nice aren't I ) They said they could help him after lunch, big hoorah. They sold us a overpriced crap tube and and cheap pump and offered no other help, shame on you guys, you missed a big opportunity to impress a local cycling family and the opportunity to take more money off of us in the future.

mattobrien

Guru
Some shops are good, some are not as good. Sometimes the good ones have an off day.

It's all about finding an LBS that suits you. I have and I am very happy. I am currently shifting all bike purchases from online to LBS. I am happy to pay a little more as the advice means I get what is right for me, rather than what I think is right for me. Their knowledge is valuable.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've always had good experiences in my two local bike shops, but last week, for the first time in my life, I had the money (around £1k) to buy a good bike and trotted off to the nearest shop. The staff completely blanked me for 15 minutes as I hung around waiting for help in the empty showroom.

I gave up in the end.

I would certainly use the shop again for bits & bobs, servicing...etc, but I was disappointed with the service on this occasion. If someone had just said 'Need any help mate' or even 'Good morning', they'd have made a sale.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Oh and my lbs DNA Cycles in Maidenhead High Street if the guy who owns that happens to be a member on here id just like you to know that you,and your staff need to pull your head out of your rear's and learn some basic manners and some people skills.

the local bike shop near me, when i sent back my verenti and got a refund from wiggle.co.uk i was looking to buy a cube agree sl, which has a rrp of £1500 and i asked the shop when they will getting them in and i was told in couple of months so after couple of months i went back and was told the new models will be released in couple of months so went back again after couple of months to be told that they might not even be getting this model in and they didn't even offer to order me it when they finally get the new models in. so did my research online to see when the new cube where released so i could go in order/buy one. went couple weeks after release and they still didn't have any new models in and they where still selling the old models at full price so i gave up and ordered previous year model online at chain reaction cycles. i was so shocked they didn't seem bothered they where missing out on a £1500 sale. thought it was madness, i have not bought anything from them since.

StuartG

slower but further
In defence of LBS their prices might be rather more but their cost base is much higher than for the online competition. I would guess most owners own a bike rather than a fleet of Range Rovers so they aren't ripping you off. And when you snap a cable on a Friday night they provide a service you can't get any other way. So long live the LBS and I try to giv'em enough business to stay in business.

buggi

Bird Saviour
well i can fully rate the three LBS's I use. Red Kite in Shirley, Cult Racing in Earlswood and John Atkins in Leamington Spa all get my vote for top customer service and top mechanics.

...absolutely maddening in the inconsistency of their customer service, appalling in their stock control, slap dash in their approach to genuine sales enquiries, charge stupid prices for stuff, and are staffed by uncommunicative teenager blokes often in grown-up adult bodies.

I shall be returning to buying everything off the interwebs once more as locally they are clearly making money hand-over-fist selling totally inappropriate complete bikes to folk who probably will hardly ever ride them.

Thank you. That is all.

I'm sorry you find things as you do. It may be a matter of luck. I have been immensely lucky over the years and have enjoyed excellent service from my LBS and others in the region. I may be in the minority, but I would be lost if all cycle retail went online.

I do occasionally pay a few pounds or pennies more than I might for the same item online, but there is a priceless and intangible element of added value at a good LBS.

Mine lends me special tools, warns me of surprises I might face whemn undoing things and gives me tips about gear adjustment and other dark arts.

If we all stop using the LBS, there will be nowhere to go for the next generation of riders who want that washer or that spacer to get the chain in line on their fixie.

Top Bottom