Some local bike shops are...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In defence of LBS their prices might be rather more but their cost base is much higher than for the online competition. I would guess most owners own a bike rather than a fleet of Range Rovers so they aren't ripping you off. And when you snap a cable on a Friday night they provide a service you can't get any other way. So long live the LBS and I try to giv'em enough business to stay in business.
Halfords. And they are open way later and seven days a week, unlike all our LBS's.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If we all stop using the LBS, there will be nowhere to go for the next generation of riders who want that washer or that spacer to get the chain in line on their fixie.
Velosolo?

Serious point: Fixed gear and singlespeeds, except SS-MTB? Complete incomprehension around here from all three LBS.

Irishrich

Über Member
My LBS gave me the impression that they knew it all and weren't interested in the new riders and talked gobledeegook about bike parts but I am very happy to say that they have been fantastic with servicing my bike recently. I paid the grand sum of £21 for a full service including a new chain and the bike feels much better to ride. I left it in expecting to be charged a ridiculous amount for a service including parts (I've done about 1500 miles on it) but have been pleasantly surprised and will go back again.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mine lends me special tools, warns me of surprises I might face whemn undoing things and gives me tips about gear adjustment and other dark arts.
Mine does the same at times. It's the inconsistency that is infuriating. I knew it would be an off day when I walked in and the shop floor was covered in bike boxes from a new delivery.

Adam G

Regular
It is frustrating. I try to go local as much as possible but savings and inconsistencies are frustrating.

I remember in Camden I was browsing the area since I was new to London, was in need of a bike; saw a new & 2nd hand place and said I wanted a hardtail for commutes but with touring bits on as I tend to carry a lot of stuff. Dude was only interested in selling me a new fixie. I said I can't ride them but he said I would get used to it and there should be no other choice.

I got exactly what I wanted off gumtree a week or so later.

Yesterday, needed some new brake pads (disc) for gf's MTB; local cheapest pads are £18. CRC £6. Email this morning saying dispatched. When service is like that I know I can send them back free if I just decide against it, it's hard to stay local.

On the other hand, I had a recent horrible experience with Paul's Cycles online. Avoid these if you can. The prices are tempting but after sales is non-existent.

Sandra6

Veteran
We have a few lbs to choose from (and Halfords obvs!) and in all of them your experience depends on who happens to be working when you walk in.
In each there is one really good person, but if they're not there or are speaking to another customer, you would end up walking out!
I can't abide poor customer service, but I do think independent stores often have totally different standards to bigger retailers.

Archeress

Veteran
When I lived in Devon I used a lbs chain called The Bike Shed. I used the one in Crediton and also the one in Exeter. Have always found them friendly and helpful. Yes prices aren't as good as online but the welcome I get and helpful advice is worth it. I recently had to go back to Exeter and had wanted some tires for another bike. I had looked online and found some tires that would do for £12 each (the bike is a spare bike so didn't want to spend a lot). I had my Samsung tablet with me and showed them to them and asked What they could do. They offered me some specialized nimbus at £28 for the pair. The tires were marked up at £20 each.

Hugs
Archeress x

MarkF

Guru
The 2 small local indies have closed down, I am left with a big player in Saltaire that is v.expensive and another is a large long established business in Shipley. I took my bike to the latter for a full service, I'd run out of time to do it myself and I was also using it to commute, it didn't really need one but anyway, I dropped it in to the shop on my way to work, the day before I went on a tour.

I picked it up just before they closed, within a couple of miles I had to stop and adjust the gears, gears that worked perfectly in the morning. The brake cable was snagged and the front wheel was loose, checking, I also saw it was on the wrong way around. Changing the front wheel saw me find both skewer springs on the the same side, hmmm.............so I took off the back wheel, same there too. £50, never again. :cursing:

Adam G

Regular
I think the reason even experienced cyclist and those who can do a mini-service themselves often go to the big players as they know that since bad customer service costs them money so they will take a hit on redoing a whole service again for free rather than argue the toss like a smaller LBS would because they can afford it.

It's sad really but without incentives run by councils/government then the free market model will always favour the big.

Top Bottom