Some Lovely Countryside for Cycling Around Basingstoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Today I did my longest ride so far (38 miles), following a big circle around Basingstoke.

picture.php

picture.php

I tried this route last year, but cut it short when I ran out of steam after about 30 miles.

This year I went better prepared with some cereal bars in my pockets. My 1977 Carlton was also better prepared, with the tyres rock hard, the bearings well greased and the chain well lubricated.

My average speed wasn't that great because I had to stop off every mile or so to check the map, 3 times for my cereal bars and twice to take calls on my mobile. But nevertheless I still managed it in just under 3 hours.

I've lived in this area for nearly 30 years and this route even passes my house, but you just don't appreciate the scenery until you get on a bike. Some lovely forests with undulating hills in the background, next time I'll take some photos with my mobile or even better get a camera for my helmet.

Feeling well pleased with myself at the moment and ready for the next challange :thumbsup:

djondjayvadas

Sweet, part of that is my commute to work to Newbury :thumbsup: Any chance of slightly larger images?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice! And a perfectly respectable time for the distance.

The best bit, I imagine, from what I've heard, is that you can go round Basingrad, and not into it!:rofl:

Arch

Married to Night Train
djondjayvadas said:
Basingrad is a perfectly compact commuter town, THANKS ACTUALLY.

;D

:rofl:

To be fair, I've never even been there. But my bro in law worked there for a while, and my sister refers to it as Basingrad....

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

djondjayvadas said:
Any chance of slightly larger images?
If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you the PDF scan I took of the route.

Arch said:
Nice! And a perfectly respectable time for the distance.

The best bit, I imagine, from what I've heard, is that you can go round Basingrad, and not into it!:rofl:
Thanks Arch, yes its all country lanes through rolling fields, farmland and woodlands.

Did a ride there last year while visiting friends, actually surprised how hilly it was! Oop in Lancyshire we think its flat down south. Mind you I have to admit you have some great places to ride and the roads were surprisingly quiet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Shaun, if I PM you an email address, could I have a PDF too? My bro in law is into cycling a bit (he's signed up for a sportive in the summer I think), and it would be relatively local to him for a training run, if he wanted it.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Arch said:
Shaun, if I PM you an email address, could I have a PDF too? My bro in law is into cycling a bit (he's signed up for a sportive in the summer I think), and it would be relatively local to him for a training run, if he wanted it.
Check your email, I've now sent it.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I cycled this route again yesterday and took a few pictures with my phone to give you an idea. It pained me to lose momentum to stop and use the camera, but hey, I've got responsibilities to the forum too.
4632335346_e1ec3ed5f1.jpg

4632328052_ea8a6c554d.jpg

4632328054_6ea475f59e.jpg

4632328064_12a20d6cbc.jpg

4632328066_07cb262ff3.jpg

4632331942_3710cca7e9.jpg

4632331948_b16695e15b.jpg

4632331956_235383829f.jpg

4632331958_9cf90a1a85.jpg

4632335328_2ac6439b22.jpg

4632335334_252c661488.jpg

4632335336_c9aa48671c.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, that looks nice - especially the shady bits!

I passed the route onto my bro in law as a 'nice 38 mile ride) and he replied saying he thought he had the book somewhere, and had never seen 'nice' and '38 miles' put together before...

Bless....

Today I did a "bleedin' hot" 57....

The only scenery pic I took was slightly less picturesque, but there's a solidity about Drax that I can't help admiring...

DSCN0008.jpg

Top Bottom